Potters Angel...Anyone?

t316

Who has them? Seriously contemplating making the addition. SWF list them as "difficult". What are the negatives and why so difficult?
Thanks...T3

sepulatian

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3106174
Who has them? Seriously contemplating making the addition. SWF list them as "difficult". What are the negatives and why so difficult?
Thanks...T3
Potters are difficult? When did that happen? They are pretty hardy fish. I think a mistake has been made...

nycbob

for most dwarf angels, if ine wants to increase ur success, one has to hv a mature tank of at least 6 months and plenty of liverocks. as for feeding, feed it frozen food high in sponge content.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/3106306
Potters are difficult? When did that happen? They are pretty hardy fish. I think a mistake has been made...
Almost all the big online sites list Potters as "Expert Only" or similar verbage.
Only found in the Hawaiian Islands, it is one of the more shy dwarf Angelfish and often has difficulty adapting to captivity and a captive diet. Established LR is a must, they are constant grazers and will benefit from the added nutrition the live rock can provide. It is not known for picking at stony corals but may pick at soft corals such as leathers.
I came pretty close to getting a pair from CCampbells buddy that lives in Hawaii, but refrained.

t316

Thanks for the input everyone. I went to look at him again last night at the lfs. Very beautiful fish, but a little nervous about all the "difficult" warnings I read about. Rocks to pick at would not be problem, nor would space, but I have not seen him eat (personally) at the lfs. I would have to see this first, but I was curious if there was some other reason, such as prone to certain deseases, etc., that give them this label.

kjr_trig

http:///forum/post/3106453
Thanks for the input everyone. I went to look at him again last night at the lfs. Very beautiful fish, but a little nervous about all the "difficult" warnings I read about. Rocks to pick at would not be problem, nor would space, but I have not seen him eat (personally) at the lfs. I would have to see this first, but I was curious if there was some other reason, such as prone to certain deseases, etc., that give them this label.
No, I don't believe so. Hawaiian fish there is certainly no danger of cyanide. I don't blame you for wanting to see him eat though. My Coral Beauty that I got online didn't eat what I offered for about 10 days, just munched on the LR. Once established (like about any fish), you are golden though....Is he pretty alert and interactive?

novahobbies

There was an article in FAMA magazine about this a year or so ago. I've got the magazine around somewhere but can't find it right now.....
Basically they're labeled as "difficult" for multiple reasons.
First, their death rate in transportation from the wild to the LFS is absolutely terrible....something on the order of 10% survivability rate only. They stress very easily, so most go belly-up in the trip to the store.
Secondly, they're a cryptic species, needing a LOT of rockwork to hide in so they may feel safe. Not enough rock = overstressed fish = easily compromised immune system. Many die early in captivity simply for this reason. IIRC they are a deeper water species as well, not used to the light. Brightly-lit aquaria only make them go deeper into hiding in the rockwork.
Personally, I think they're beautiful, but I won't buy one because of the terrible attrition rate during transport. As a semi-responsible fish keeper, I would prefer that we enjoy this species through pictures and scuba diving trips, and just leave them on the reef. That being said, I know it's not gonna happen. Educating people on the life style of the fish is the next best line of defense. I've heard from a couple people who have them that they become very comfortable out in the open after they've settled in the tank a while. They're still a rockwork-hugging animal, but they're out enough to enjoy. (Not at all like my ^&*%@ing firefish, who only comes out to eat!!
) A large well established tank, preferrably with no metal halides, seems to be the best key to keeping this fish for any length of time.
If I can find the issue of FAMA I'll post the date and issue number on here for ppl to look up....

t316

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/3106455
Is he picking at anything at the LFS? Even the glass?

Originally Posted by kjr_trig

http:///forum/post/3106457
No, I don't believe so. Hawaiian fish there is certainly no danger of cyanide. I don't blame you for wanting to see him eat though. My Coral Beauty that I got online didn't eat what I offered for about 10 days, just munched on the LR. Once established (like about any fish), you are golden though....Is he pretty alert and interactive?
No, there is nothing to pick at in this particular series of holding tanks...just a bare tank. He is alert, but since there is nothing to do, he just hangs out mid-tank and looks at you. Store was a little busy last night, so not much time to talk to owner, but I don't usually like listening to lfs people about anything. I would have to see him eat, but otherwise, no marks on him and very healthy looking.

t316

nova, well at least the transport part in this case is mostly over. He's made it from the ocean, just would have to get him home. I do have lots of rock with caves and overhangs, so he would be okay there. I do have MH's though, but as big as the tank is, he should be able to find some shady, quiet places.
Good info. though, post more if you find the article.

it's chuck

I have a potters andi would say in well established tank with good live rock it should be pretty easy to keep. the biggest thing is getting them to eat. if you see him picking it would be a good sign. Mine took a good month or so before it stared eat well, but a good varied diet with some suppliments(Selcon) will go along way with these guys

ophiura

http:///forum/post/3106505
No, there is nothing to pick at in this particular series of holding tanks...just a bare tank. He is alert, but since there is nothing to do, he just hangs out mid-tank and looks at you. Store was a little busy last night, so not much time to talk to owner, but I don't usually like listening to lfs people about anything. I would have to see him eat, but otherwise, no marks on him and very healthy looking.
When I buy a fish, I stand back for sometimes a very long time...several feet if possible from the tank...and just watch. For me eating is important,yes, but behavior sometimes moreso. So if I see a fish that at lease picks at something...the bottom of the tank, the silicon, swims around, seems inquisitive and "hunting" that says a lot. Close up view is only to assess color, parasites, etc.
The word of the LFS is virtually meaningless to me, except to know when it arrived in a shipment. If it has been there more than 3 days this is at least a positive, IMO (highest mortality is 48-72 hours after arrival, in terms of stress fish loss).
so this is a tough call to make, IMO. I did try one once, but he only lived a few days.
It is unlikely, IMO, to find this fish truly eating at the LFS. The real key is its behavior and appearance. That being said, I have an automatic dislike of LFS that have empty tanks with absolutely nothing, as this does nothing more than add stress to the fish, personally.

nicetry

The issue with potters in many cases is not so much getting a healthy one or even getting it to eat. Keeping them long term is a problem. I've had three. The first died most likely due to inexperience on my part and bad lfs advice. The second one I tried thrived for two years and was traded in for different fish. I recently purchased another which went into my well established 120 with lots of mature live rock, etc.. The fish immediately began picking at the rocks and glass and within a week was eating a full range of prepared foods with gusto. It's only tankmates were a pair of clowns, a ywg, mandarin and a pair of damsels. The angel began to fail after two months and died shortly thereafter. Water params were spot on. At a major marine aquarium conference there was a seminar on centropyges and the question was asked how many people had kept potters. A bunch of hands went up. The facilitator then asked how many had kept one alive for a year and most of the hands went down. It was then asked how many had kept the fish alive for two years and only two hands remained up. They are beautiful fish and many books rate them hardy but there is something that makes them difficult to keep long term. My sense is that it is diet related, and while they will eat, they don't get something in the diet that they need. I don't think I'll purchase another.

ophiura

That is definitely an interesting trend. In that regard they are like moorish idols, many of which eat just fine (contrary to some opinions) and yet die in about a year or so for unknown reasons.

ginnboy

I have had mine for two years and counting he is in a 180 with lots of rock and I feed a mix of formla one and two flakes with prime reef flakes. He has been eating from the day I got him .He was maybe a inch then and now bout three to four inches and doing great.He even gets along good with my singapore angel,at times they swim together like they are racing.

t316

I called the lfs. They have only had him for 3 days (I was hoping for a little longer). But, she said that he is eating blood worms and mysis just fine, I could come watch. I can't get back over there until Mon. (which they are closed), so the earliest would be Tuesday. She is willing to hold him for me. So that would be 6 days if he is still alive and looks good on Tuesday.
BTW he is 69.00, but I get 20% off, so that's $55.00 (with no shipping). Not that this is a factor, but in case anyone was wondering.
What to do...what to do...

I have taken chances before, so I'm not afraid of the challenge. Just want as much info. as possible. The one thing that worries me is competition for food. I don't really have any aggressive fish in my tank, but when it comes feeding time, no holds barred from anyone. If he is going to be shy and sit back and wait for leftovers, it's going to be tough.
Currently, there are:
3 Tangs (Yellow, Naso, and Powder Blue)
2 Sixlines
2 Banghai
2 Maroon Clowns
Diamond Goby
Chromis
2 Serpent Stars
Hundreds of snails & crabs