Powder blue tang ?

saltywhit67

I have a 75 gallon reef and i have about 2 years experience. I am thinking about getting a powder blue tang and i was wandering what are their specific needs that makes them moderately hard to take care of? I have a YT already, my lfs has a powder blue that is close to the same size, buy it? or smaller?

greatfullreefer

They are very prone to stress which leads to ich, if you already have a yellow i do not recomend adding another tang. Yellows are extremely aggressive and will badger the powder blue stressing it out which in turn will make it very prone to disease. Also 2 tangs in a 75 is a bad idea powders do require 100 gallons or more.

lion_crazz

Personally, I would not put a powder blue tang in a tank smaller than 150 gallons because they are open ocean swimming fish. They need a lot of room to swim back and forth, and a smaller tank does not provide this.

killafins

lion_crazzz, i wouldn't either for the reason that i put one in a 55 but that's because of some wild scam involving ***** and a 'free' powder blue... i was an idiot back then (a whole 9 months ago)... but yes i believe 150 is the best but 95 will suffice... we all know people will go for lower anyways, hey u needa 150 for that tang, oh, ok i'll put it in my 20

killafins

Actually, i have no tanks with fish in it anymore. I haev my 2 liter, i think it is, at my dads with a hermit crab in it and a piece or two of live rock. And a lizard tank half full of water at my house with a good all fw snail named Rocco.
I hate to say taht i went on vaca for a week, came back to find my powder blue to be stuck in my castle, deceased. i have made some of the most stupidest mistakes known, but if i knew the outlook of them i wouldnt' have done them and i guess that's what gets me most agitated. Some hobbyist say, oh i'll give it a try and if it doesn't work out, what the hekc, it was ten dollars... :rolleyes: