powder blue tang

chadman

i just put him/her(blue hippo tang) in my gfriends tank an hour or so ago...he is swimming around like a nut in circles and all over the place irratically....is this normal? he was rather expensive so i don't want him to die!!

fedukeford

Perfectly normal, some fish will hide right away, some will swim like crazy... give it a week and it should behave more normal.
Feduke

chadman

also....my blenny seems to be breating really hard...his gills are pumping...what does this mean or is it just a normal thing that happens when adding a fish to a new tank?

chadman

at my lfs they said that this tang needs a minimal of a 50g tank...but online it says that it needs a tank 100g's or more...it also says that it is a very specialty care species...what type of special care must be taken with them as apposed to other tangs?

fedukeford

all tangs need 6 foot tanks IMO (except for mabey kole tangs). hippo tangs get Ich VERY easily, so they need to be QT'd and kept in good water conditions.

chadman

so how does a fish get ich? does a fish with ich have to be brought into the system or do they get it from stress? what does ich look like exactly?

fedukeford

they could get it either way, bringing it in, or from being stressed. it looks like tiny white pimples on the fish.

chadman

oh okay...well we will keep our fingers crossed cause we didn't qt him...its a newish tank so he was one of the first things to go in...

tacoma38

pouder blue tangs die super easy,blenny is dead already.Let me know if he dont die with then days,i will be in shock,he his.

tacoma38

Sorry to say,but u got to check out these fish before u put out your money.Since its a new tank i know hes going to die.

joncat24

Originally Posted by tacoma38
pouder blue tangs die super easy,blenny is dead already.Let me know if he dont die with then days,i will be in shock,he his.

that wasn't really called for was it???
could give a little advice or words of wisdom, instead of laughing cause you think his fish is gonna die!!!

chadman

how can you be so sure of yourself? there is hair algae on the glass which he can definately munch on...as for the perameters they are perfect...and i had a blenny which i put in my tank like a month into and he made if for over a year until a rock fell on him and crushed him....

30-xtra high

lol... theres some encouragement...
and is it a blue hippo... or a powder blue?, you named thread "power blue", and called it a hippo.
i've gotta agree with taco... but less harshly. you should take it back to your lfs so it can die there and you don't lose your money.
if your blenny dies thats not good... blennies are so frikkin hardy, theres gotta be somethin wrong with your tank.

chadman

what do you have 100 posts and your telling me that fish in my tank are dead already...i have been doing this for a long time...true that i don't know about the tang all that much i do have a yellow tang which is doing great....