powder blue tang

spsfreak100

Originally posted by fishman622
is the powder blue tang a great fish. i was thinking of getting one

No tang would do good in a 65 gallon when fully grown, esspecially the Power Blue. The Powder blue can be quite difficult to keep, and is quite prone to disease. I would recommend holding off on any tang, until you get a larger tank. In my opinion, a Power blue would do best in 150 gallons or more.
Graham

ross

If you want something colorful and active then check out a dwarf angel like a flame or coral beatuy.

eric4usa

Favorite fish BY FAR.
ICH prone...
I had one for over a year in super health, then introduced a trigger without quarantine and he infected my whole tank with ICH.
After Hyposalinity, Powder Blue was the only one who didn't make it.:(

fishman830

tangs in general are prone to ich.. fortunatly i havnt expierenced ich in my tank.. i have a blue hippo, its highly debaited what size tank you should have it in, u feel its ok to have it in a 65g(dvs the on ei was gonna trade w/ you is the one fishman622has) i feel if you have ample filtration(protein skimmers) and enopught swimming spac eit should be fine, and nto a huge bioload and fewer fish

spsfreak100

Originally posted by Fishman830
i feel if you have ample filtration(protein skimmers) and enopught swimming spac eit should be fine, and nto a huge bioload and fewer fish

I'm not looking at this from a biological load perspective, but rather a space perspective. Biological load shouldn't be too much of a concern, as long as you have an ample supply of water volume and some good chemical and biological filtration. Tank size is your biggest limitation. A 65 gallon simply does not have the dementions to house a fully grown tang of any kind. Tangs are grazing fish, requiring ample space to swim. While it is true that we cannot supply the fish with as much swimming room as it will have in the wild, we should aim to put it in the biggest environment as we can. Why put a fish in anything but the best environment? Shouldn't we try to duplicate what they would have in the wild as best as possible? While it is true that you have the choice over what you want to put in your tank, the fish (or coral) don't. They are unable to speak their mind, and state that they would prefer a larger (or smaller) environment.
But, I completely agree that this is a highly debated subject. There is no true answer to your question, although it's up to you to consider the fishes health and happiness.
Take Care,
Graham

fishman830

the best way to go about it is.. just take you know a ocuple square miles of ocean and claim it for your fish ;)

urchin

My $100 powder blue lasted about a year..beautiful fish..all of a sudden, ich....have had my yellow and sailfin for 3 yrs now, no probs...they get along just fine (matter of fact they stick together), go figure...