Powder Blue tangs

tangirl

Anyone sucessfully kept these fish in a FO tank? Are they VERY suseptible to Marine Ich. Is this tang best to be avoided.Would really like PB tang or a Blue hippo, can't decide. Blue hippo's tend to hide more don't they?(I don't want that)I want SEE all their beautiful colors!!

tangirl

BTW is there ANY way that in a 150 I could put a Powder blue with a yellow tang. (If I add the tang 8-9 months after the Powder Blue. I've other mention 2 dwarf angels in a tank that size but....??... In Canada I think I'll be lucky to find a PB for $100 so I don't want them to kill each other!I'm just thinking of the "if they don't look like one another or come from the same genus you can probably get away with it " theory.????

flamehawk

While I don't know what other fish you have in the 150g tank, aPB and YT s/b able to co-exist. I've had my PB for almost 2 years and he's absolutely my favorite. When he first arrived he did contract ich. Treated him w/copper( which you can't do is you have a reef) and since then he's been fine. They can be a bit tricky during the acclimation phase but after that their pretty good and hardy assuming you provide the right water conditions, and feed it lot's of Nori. The key is to get a very healthy specimen from the start. make sure he's got very good body definition, clear eyes, no signs of wear and tear and that he is eating well. As far as the hippo, also a good fish. Somewhat more sensitive to ich and does spook easier. he will dash in and out of his favorite hiding places but most of the time would still be visable once acclimated to his new home. I also like hippo's but the PB is by far my favorite! All tangs do better in an established tank w/ L/R, L/S and good Protein skimmer. Best of luck!

predator

I to am getting my pb in the morning(Dec. 4)and have heard they are pretty acceptable to ich.Though I have heard not as bad as the hippo.And my girlfriend and I have been fighting ich on her blue hippo for what seems like forever.I'm at the point where I think he's got scars and we are just freaking out.Anyway, I just hope that a pb will be less hasel and more fun.Oh yeah, that hippo will hide out for a few weeks but will come out.My girlfriend has one with a yellow tang and they play all the time.

H

here fishy

I have had more luck with the Hippos than the powders...Three things have helped
1.)A cleaner wrasse and shrimp who my tang accepts and gets picked at all day by
2.) Really staying on top of water conditions like everyone here will say.
3.) I think I mentioned this on another one of your postings..Find a garlic solution in a shop that you can soak your food in. I have not had a single problem with ich since I started this practice....i am sure this method is debatable amongst the many folks who post here. Seems like someone in every area where there are tanks has developed something along this line....

robinfly

I've had a Powder Blue and a Sailfin together in my 55 for over a year now, and I've never had any parasite problems. They've gotten a bit territorial ever since I recently doubled the amount of LR in the tank, but 99% of the time they get along fantastically, almost as if they're schooling.

tangirl

Thank you so much for your replies!! I'm glad to hear some sucess stories. Especially the fact that they have gotten along with another tang. Would love to hear from more. thanks again!

ebeckels

powder blues are an awesome fish... I highly recommend it...Don't forget to quarantine it though. They are complete ICH magnets...Such an awesome fish though...Good luck!

aquarius

My uncle had a Powder Blue along with at least one Hippo and a Sohal tang too all in a 150 and everything went fine. The size in which the Powder Blue got was incredible and his color was absolutely astounding. But, an unknown case of ick got out of hand and it killed the Hippo and Powder Blue. Now he has two hippos, a yellow, a sailfin and still the Sohal which is humongous. In regards to hippos, as juveniles then spend a lot of time in hiding but when they get older they tend to stay out a lot more. Either way you go, a tang is a tang and its already at odds with parasitic infection so the rest is your preference. (Just make sure you keep an eye on it and take really good care of it.) Good Luck!