Powder Blue

miel

:nope: I was at my LFS yesterday, and saw the most beautiful Powder Blue Tang. He was in a 10 gallon tank, and my heart just broke for him.. I resisted the temptation to bring him home though, as my tank is only a 40 gal. He is approx 3 1/3 inches in length. My ? is how big a tank does he require and how fast would he grow? I hated to leave him there, but I'd hate to put him in another tank he'd be miserable in.
Was I correct in my action?

chris19

If you dont plan on upgrading to at least a 6 foot + tank in the future, you made a good decision on not getting him.
Chris

lefty

This reminds me of the fish I see at *****. How can they keep tangs in a teeny, five gallon tank? When I was there last, there was one tang by himself in a five gallon tall and another in the same sized tank with a couple clownfish.

lefty

I would expect a pet store to be aware of the proper tank size needed for the fish. I felt bad for them as well =(

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you really want to cry, I went to the pet shop and saw a fully grown yellow tang in one of those 12"x12" cubicals. It was tramatizing for me, so I can only imagine how the fish felt. Unfortunately I went back the next week and he was still there!

H

hewetton

Yes, you made a right decision. We cannot rescue every single mistreated fish sold on the market. Fish stores/collectors should realize their own wrongdoings. I know this sounds sad, but we just have to let it be. The best thing you can do is to make an informed decision. Hopefully other people will follow this pattern, too.

farslayer

I am planning on calling the manager to complain about the "gentleman" who runs the saltwater section. The tanks were filthy, smelled bad and the distribution of species was quite questionable. I got into an arguement with "fish boy" as he was feeding the fish. There were two dog-faced puffers in a single tank, one was fiercely beating the snot out of the smaller fish. I pointed this out to him, but of course he didn't care, so I went to get a net to relocate the agressor into a tank with a couple of smaller triggers. He got bent out of shape and decides he's going to do something about it. So what does he do? He puts the losing puffer in a tank with two niger triggers and a lion; great, a hurt fish in a tank with predators. We fished the guy out and put him in a tank with some damsels, but I'm going to call today and have this guy chewed out or something. I mean, these tanks are absolutely filthy, you wouldn't believe the smell.