Powder Brown/Blue Tang in 75??

fishgirl

Hey everyone I brought this up on another post but did not get too many answers.
I'm setting up a 75 long. Prizm skimmer, daylight and actinic PCs, not a DSB. Mostly fish, lots of LR, a bit of LS, a clean-up crew, maybe l8r some dusters and shrooms. (I guess you'd call it a semi-reef.) Whatever, anayways, it would have lots of surface and swimming space, excellent circulation, good water quality, cleaner shrimps, some caulerpa, blah blah blah you get the idea - I will try to make all the conditions perfect.
Ok, I'll get to the point: I would like to be able to add a Powder Blue or Powder Brown Tang to this set-up. Is a 75 too small no matter what the conditions are? I most certainly do not want to be mean to this beautiful fish, but I must admit - the challenge of keeping one of these demanding fish is something I would take much joy in.
Another factor- if I buy it at 3", how long will it take to grow? If the answer id three years or more, this will not be a problem as I will be able to upgrade then.
So far I'm planning on a Flame Angel and my Yellow Tang(and a little clown). If too many people say I can't keep the powder, I will get a regal tang. Sound good?
I understand if you must be the bearer of bad news, so I'd appreaciate any responses. Thanks!!

mr . salty

In my personal experiance the hippo is a much better fish than the powder blue/brown. I have had them and the hippo is still with me. Although it has had ich several times,it is a very hardy fish.Also more personality than the powders.

jimi

I have had all three at one point or another. A 75 is too small for a powder blue. As far as hardiness it is a toss up all are HIGHLY prone to ich but the hippo is prone to bacterial infections, ich, and hlle. The(false/white cheeked) powder brown is easier in my opinion. Considering the room you have a hippo would be my choice if conditions are great and fighting is not a problem.

jimi

By the way you had better quarantine everything you put in that tank to give yourself the best chance possible with those tangs. ;)

goofieones

I have a regal in my tank, haven't had a problem with ich yet..... knock on wood. Anyways my tank is a 72 bow, and I think he will someday outgrow the tank, but I am enjoying him for now, as long as he doesn't get ich. When he gets too big I will just give him to the lfs, and replace with another.

fishgirl

I know tangs are prone to ick, especially the ones I mentioned. No I do not enjoy ick!! But I have successfully cured a yellow tang from it and he hasn't gotten sick since (2 years) And that's with a tank that's a tiny 30 gallon with bad conditions! I have studied tangs extensivly (they're my fav group of fish - they're worth any amount of trouble to me) and I feel that with good water quality, plenty of time/pacience, good diet, a ready QT/HT, and cleaning shrimps as a first line of defense, I should do fine. IF the tank is not too small. That's what I asked.
Question: Is the tank too small? Don't tell me about the ick, compatibility, water, etc. I know about that, and want to accept the challenge ONLY if my tank is big enough.
I'm not stupid, I know the general rule that powders need a 90gal+, as they grow to 8", but all I wanted to know was if anyone here thinks I could possibly get away with a small one in a 75 for about three years, or if anyone else has attemted this. That's all. Thanks for all the help so far :), I'm sorry I didn't word my question very well.

7up

Just added a 3" powder blue to my 75 about 3 weeks ago and things are going well. The first intoduction to the tank with 2 percs, a bicolor, and Kole did not go well (bicolor and powder had issues) so I pulled the powder and moved/added rock. When introduced again, all fish discussed territory and found a home. I try to keep the powder very well fed and happy. Not sure on growth rate but I think your 3 year estimate might be a little long. Have heard ~2 years in a 75.
Good Luck!