powder brown tang?

joe 09

very beautiful fish,very susceptible to ich.make sure you quarantine him for at lest 2 weeks or more and he is eating good before putting him in the main tank .

joe 09

sorry,miss read your question. the reply i gave you is for the powder blue.there are two powder brown tangs.the white face acanthurus japonicus is better fish .the acanthurus nigricans will often die in a few weeks.do some research before you buy it. the white face will have a white strip between the eye and the nose.

dogstar

joe,,,

The book Marine Fishes says just the opposite. That the nigricans is the more hardy of the two......:notsure:

joe 09

yes i saw that to.i believe that is a miss print,i have checked other web sites and other books(the conscientious marine aquarist)and they confirm that.i did the research because i bought the white cheek.
reseach

dogstar

joe 09
You are correct about that book being wrong about the nigricans tang as being a hardy fish. I however am not intrested in geting one. If I was I would have researched farther, Which is what scuba should do.
After just checking fishbase and wetwebmedia I will now say for scubas benifit that ( according to those two sites ) the whitecheeck ( nigricans ) is not the hardier fish but the whiteface ( japonicus ) is. I guess common names can get just as confusing as spc. names.
End of post. No need to scroll farther....

guineawhop

make sure your tank is mature as well, 6 months or older. if it isn't the tang will surely die. also make sure you have a good current in the tank with lots of oxygen in the water as these guys live in parts of the ocean where there is lots of oxygen in the water. also feed these guys lots of veggies like seaweed along with , spirulina and if you can get them to eat it formula 2 of ocean nutrition whether it be the pellet or the flake. it also helps to have live rock. i would also keep the salinity down to 1.019-1.020 as this will help it from getting ick. have plenty of hiding spaces along with plenty of swimming room. tank should be no smaller than a 90 gallon.