Powder Brown Tang

forrest gump

I just got a Powder Brown Tang 4 days ago and I haven't seen him eat anything yet. I've tried brine shrimp and green algae flakes. I have some calerpa growing in my tank and it's all torn up now but I'm not sure that the Powder Brown is the one eating it. I also have a small blue hippo tang and I see him nibbling on it. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should feed the Powder Brown to get him started eating? Also, out of all the fish groups I like the tang family the best. I was wondering if a 125 gallon tank could house a blue hippo tang, a powder brown tang and a naso tang peacefully or will they fight a bit? Thanks for your responses.

janelle

ive heard people say mysis shrimp, and also garlic soaked nori (from the oriental food market). My tangs love nori, although it did take them a few times putting into the tank before they recognized it as food. It may take him some time to get settled, im sure he will start eating soon, if he hasnt already been sneaking bites when youre not around :)

david t.

do you have a vegie clip? you can put seeweed sheets in it and leave it in so when he gets the urge to eat it will be there.:)

bdhough

Yes disappear when you feed. You could be scaring him into not eating. If you have access to live food sources i would try that as well. Particularly live brine shrimp. Soak some seaweed in garlic and let it sit in the tank. Minimize your activity around the tank and if you must watch do it from a large distance. When the powder brown sees the other fish eating he may be encouraged to eat himself. Thats about all you can do...

theplowking

Seaweed Sheet. My Scopas Tang was the same when he
first arrived. Eats like a pig now. I usaully put a 3 inch strip of
seaweed each morning on a clip. It's gone by the end of the day.

tyr-sog

I just purchased a 3" Vlamingii Tang a few days ago and he is now just starting to get rid of that tang skittyness. He is already starting to come to the top of the tank for feeding although he was eating algea of the glass 3 minutes into the tank. I agree with some of the others. Get mysis, soak it in some garlic xtreme and selcon then try feeding then leave the room and maybe peek in.

lesleybird

Get some seaweed sheets and put one on a small rock with a rubber band....my fish are afraid of the clips. Lesley

saltfisher

I feed those seaweed strips that come in the pouch. I bought the green and the purple. All my fish eat it. Triggers, too.