Power Head Condom!

Just a note about power heads...make sure you have guards on the intake. Even with the guards provided with them, I have had 2 anemones caught in them; both died. I saved my foxface when he got caught against one too. He didn't really get sucked in, more like stuck sideways on the guard.
I think that I have found a good solution for mine as seen in the pic(Pls excuse the algae bloom!). My husband makes boat canvas tops & enclosures for motor yachts & does some upholstery from time to time. He has some foam that is an open cell foam so water runs right thru it. The foam will need to be cleaned off from time to time but it will be worth it to have no more fatalities. If someone else wants to trade zoos or something else for some of these, send an email. It is only sold in 8' sheets as far as I know so it is probably not economical for most people to buy it.

reefkprz

you can buy aqua clear foam blocks and cut them to size, and they are designed for intank use and definatly dont have antifugal properties like a boat seat foam may or may not have.

who dey

Originally Posted by contrarymary
Just a note about power heads...make sure you have guards on the intake. Even with the guards provided with them, I have had 2 anemones caught in them; both died. I saved my foxface when he got caught against one too. He didn't really get sucked in, more like stuck sideways on the guard.
I think that I have found a good solution for mine as seen in the pic(Pls excuse the algae bloom!). My husband makes boat canvas tops & enclosures for motor yachts & does some upholstery from time to time. He has some foam that is an open cell foam so water runs right thru it. The foam will need to be cleaned off from time to time but it will be worth it to have no more fatalities. If someone else wants to trade zoos or something else for some of these, send an email. It is only sold in 8' sheets as far as I know so it is probably not economical for most people to buy it.
where are you located? I need a canvas top made for my boat

I am near the Mackinaw Bridge in Northern Michigan (lower peninsula). We moved here from Toledo 6 years ago. What kind of boat?

who dey

I am near the Mackinaw Bridge in Northern Michigan (lower peninsula). We moved here from Toledo 6 years ago. What kind of boat?
06 bayliner 225 runabout. see pic

torno

You must have a strong powerhead! I have one in my seahorse that's been in there for over a year and they have yet to get caught on it! These are seahorses too, a very slow swimming fish! I have a Maxi Jet, what's yours?

WHo Dey.....nice boat. Northern Mi is a little far to travel for canvas.
Torno...Maxi-Jet 1200, 900, 400
Royal Gang...well, they did get sucked in!

aztec reef

Originally Posted by ROYAL GANG
LOL, powerhead condom? LMFAO
lol, i was gonna say get this Spammer out of here..

who dey

WHo Dey.....nice boat. Northern Mi is a little far to travel for canvas.
Torno...Maxi-Jet 1200, 900, 400
Royal Gang...well, they did get sucked in!
sorry to somewhat hijack ur thread but could you estimate what it would cost for a snap canvas top just so i can get a ball park for people around here. Great idea with the powerhead rubber!!!!

We would charge between $800-$1200 depending on variables. Be sure to ask for Tenara thread ($168 a spool but they won't need a whole spool)& seriously consider Stamoid for material. Tenara thread is warrantied for the life of the canvas so it doesn't get sun rot. Stamoid is a PVC coated polyester & is waterproof. Make sure you get Vent-So-Ports for mooring poles. If they don't know what you are talking about...move on to the next one. Try John's Marine Service (John Tolch). Sorry, don't have a number for you.

mombostic

Is your foxface sick? It's pretty unusual for a healthy fish to get caught by the powerhead, isn't it? I thought they had to be weak to get stuck like that.

I think he is very healthy. He is fed pellets, green marine algae & frozen krill & has a healthy appetite. No visible parasites or fungus. I think it was somewhat of a freak accident..wrong spot at the wrong time. He had a small indentation after he was released but looks good now. I was a little apprehensive about him. I was concerned about getting stung but he is a rather timid fish & never bothers anyone.

reefer545

Great idea. No offense but we can go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby or any hobby shop. Perfect though, same goes for nudibranchs slugs and snails. These will even go perfectly over your 0overflow slots. Forgive me for detering business.