Power Head

legion

I don't have a power head at the moment. Wondering if I need one pronto or if it can wait a while,
All levels at zero

shadow678

If you don't have anything that would give you some current(i.e. powerhead, canister filter, hang-on filter, overflow and sump) you really need to get one. You don't want stagnant water in your tank, as many opportunistic organisms will breed in these places that you don't want. If you don't have water moving right now, I urge you to go and get at least one good powerhead to get the water moving.

legion

I have a 40 aga breederm, fluval 304 for bio and mechanical filtration a skilter that I use only the filter on (Skimmer sucks) and a prism skimmer, but that doesn't move much water.
35 lbs Live Rock, 2=55watt pc, 1-20watt actinic flourescent

slick

We need to know if it's a reef tank, a fish only with liverock, or just fish no live rock.

shadow678

A Fluval 304 pumps 260 gph, a Skilter pumps either 250 gph or 400 gph, depending on model. Total would either be 510 gph or 660gph. At minimum, you are getting your water turnover at over 12 times per hour, so you should be fine, as long as the current is being dispersed evenly throughout the aquarium.

i have got a 40 gallon with a whisper filter on it, it is a fowler, the biological is done on the lr. do i need a power head?

shadow678

No problem, Legion, glad I can help. :)
Sweettooth, what model is your Whisper? I need to know the flowrate of the filter before I can determine how much additional water flow you will need. There are several different models of Whisper, but I don't believe any of them will provide enough movement by itself.