Power heads; How many?

serg141

I have a 120 gal reef ready tank. How many power heads should I put in to move the water? To cirulate the water enough

T

tizzo

Oh boy, did I just learn this answer the hard way. You should have at LEAST a 15x gph turn over. A 10x gph is minimun, which is what I had when I woke up this morn, before I got to install all of my bigger/better PH's.
Good luck

viet-tin

you can go with a closed loop system. That will minimize the needs for phs. Im thinking of setting one up.

viet-tin

a closed loop is a system made where the water never leaves the plumbing. most cl are drilled in the back of the tank where pvc runs from the bulkhead to a pump and directly back into the tank. Basically your eliminating the need of phs but still circulating your water.

msd2

What tizzo was talking about was total turnover rate of your water. so say you have a 10gal tank, you would want at least 150gal/hr pumps running total for x15 rate. Personally I suggest higher, a lot higher. I run x24 turnover, which is 1350 gal per hour are moved around my tank. If your water flow is too low you will have nothing but problems, algae growth, nitrate problems etc etc. Since you have a 120 I would suggest getting either pumps/powerheads that total approx 2600 gph. Sure you can get away with less but hassle I have had since upgrading to high flow has been worth every cent.

belothsurf

Hey MSD2, I haven't crossed paths with you in a while, how's it going?
Originally posted by Serg141
MSD2,
Does that include the power head I am using to move the water from my wet/dry and u/v sterilize?

Yes, anything that adds to waterflow and circulation counts towards the gph rate. Certain types of corals need higher flow rates, and some may need a ph pointed at them, others don't need a high flow rate, but I think the general 10-20 gph x your tank size is pretty safe. A lot of it depends on what type of corals you have, or want to have.HTH.....:happyfish

msd2

Hey belothsurf, been good kinda busy @ work so not as much time as I have been wanting to spend on the tank/boards but still hanging in :) How bout urself?
Yep as stated by belothsurf it counts, about 40% of my flow comes from my return pump, the other 60 from the scwd system.
Originally posted by belothsurf
Hey MSD2, I haven't crossed paths with you in a while, how's it going?
Yes, anything that adds to waterflow and circulation counts towards the gph rate. Certain types of corals need higher flow rates, and some may need a ph pointed at them, others don't need a high flow rate, but I think the general 10-20 gph x your tank size is pretty safe. A lot of it depends on what type of corals you have, or want to have.HTH.....:happyfish

A

autopilot

I think I need more water movement. Right now I on;y have whatever is on my BakPak and a maxi-jet 1200. I just order a 900 on ---- a second ago. Should that be enough or do I need another one? Oh I have 55 gallon btw.

msd2

Originally posted by AutoPilot
I think I need more water movement. Right now I on;y have whatever is on my BakPak and a maxi-jet 1200. I just order a 900 on ---- a second ago. Should that be enough or do I need another one? Oh I have 55 gallon btw.

Easy way to figure it out for yourself, add up the total gph and divide it by ur tank size. so for your 55gal anywhere from 825- 1375gph would be fine. I personally like it on the higher end of that.

chingchong

new to the hobby...
for the turnover, are you talking about the total amount of the phs?
for example 2 phs of 200gph ... does that give you 400gph ?
i m setting up my 55 gal and don't know if i have enough ...
i run an aquaclear 200 with surface skimmer 2 powerheads with 200gph and waiting for my cpr bak-pak 2 to get here.
thanks.

msd2

Originally posted by chingchong
new to the hobby...
for the turnover, are you talking about the total amount of the phs?
for example 2 phs of 200gph ... does that give you 400gph ?
i m setting up my 55 gal and don't know if i have enough ...
i run an aquaclear 200 with surface skimmer 2 powerheads with 200gph and waiting for my cpr bak-pak 2 to get here.
thanks.

yes 2ph would give you 400gph
like I said before, you will need a lot more turnover 400gph only puts 7x turn over, at least dbl that.
This is for a reef tank I assume, for Fish only im not sure the exact amount u would need.

belothsurf

Originally posted by chingchong
I'll just have live rock with some anemones

Yeah....right.

This hobby is like a Lay's potato chip.....you can't have just one.
You'll have corals and fish in no time.....Anyway, anemones have high water flow needs also. But I don't know specifics. But I bet someone else does.......:D

belothsurf

Originally posted by msd2
Hey belothsurf, been good kinda busy @ work so not as much time as I have been wanting to spend on the tank/boards but still hanging in :) How bout urself?
Same here, work, work work....gotta feed the fishies.
But I've been spending way too much time playing this Astrowars game that Elfdoctors got me interested in ( yes Doc, if you read this, I blame you...... :D )
It's pretty cool, and rather addictive. But I'm still a kid at heart, and love strategy games like AW,....and Golf,...and Football...and Women.......:thinking: (ok Doc, maybe it's not your fault)...............:D