Power heads with no wires in the tank and power heads with UV Sterilzers

floods7

My powerhead just went out and I need a new one. I have a 30gl tank with a few corals. I dont have a UV serilizer so I was thinking of going with a Powerhead with a built in UV sterilzer. Can someone reccommend some good ones?
Also if I go the route of just the powerhead, I would like to get one of those powerheads with no wires in the tank. I am assumming it is magnetic and on the other side of the glass is the power. What are those called? Ive seen them but havent been able to find them online.
I need to buy ASAP cause I dont have any powerheads in my tank now so any help would be great!

snakeblitz33

I dont recommend uv sterilizers for home use. No point. Even then, i have never heard of a powerhead with a built in uv.
Your talking about EcoTech Vortech powerheads. For a 30L, i recommend an MP10. They are about $250. I hope you have the spare cash.

floods7

Wow, $250!! Anything less expensive that works the same way. Maybe not as much waterflow but the same functionality?

snakeblitz33

No.
Tunze variable speed powerheads are great but also cost a lot. Vortec are the only in-tank cordless powerheads on the market right now.
You could go with maxijets with hydor oscillators. Poor mans wave maker.

xcali1985

Variable speed pumps are going to cost you. The ecotech ones from my experience are better and ecotech support is amazing. There are test that show flow verses turbulence, apparently turbulence is better than flow and tunze puts out better turbulence. Im not that technical to understand the difference enough that it would influence my purchase much.
If you search online there should be a video online where they used colored dye in the water to show what they meant by the study.
I am currently saving for 2 mp40s for my tank. I choose these for 2 reasons. No wires inside the tank, and it's plug and play with my Apex Controller. The tunze is also able to be hooked up and controlled, but requires a special cable to connect it and even then the wires are in the display tank.

floods7

My biggest concern is size, i have a decent amount of rock in my 30g and there really isnt alot of room. Thats what I wanted to go with the Vortech. Can anyone reccommend a small buy efficent one?

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali1985 http:///t/393803/power-heads-with-no-wires-in-the-tank-and-power-heads-with-uv-sterilzers#post_3504439
Variable speed pumps are going to cost you. The ecotech ones from my experience are better and ecotech support is amazing. There are test that show flow verses turbulence, apparently turbulence is better than flow and tunze puts out better turbulence. I'm not that technical to understand the difference enough that it would influence my purchase much.
If you search on line there should be a video on line where they used colored dye in the water to show what they meant by the study.
I am currently saving for 2 mp40s for my tank. I choose these for 2 reasons. No wires inside the tank, and it's plug and play with my Apex Controller. The tunze is also able to be hooked up and controlled, but requires a special cable to connect it and even then the wires are in the display tank.
I've owned both, and definitely not impressed with Ecotech customer service....A lot to be desired IMHO..... I feel 1 advantage Tunze does have over the MP's are they they can be positioned and aimed endlessly somewhat so there are some trade offs....

snakeblitz33

I'm cheap, so I have only had experience with maxijets, Azoo's, Rio's, JBJ's and Koralia's. I really like the vortech's, but I am torn between them and Tunze to be honest.