Power Heads

pc fisher

My 55 gal FOWLR tank has been running now for about 5 weeks and it looks like there are portions of my tank where the water doesn't circulate very well. Would it be better to go with 2 small powerheads or 1 larger one, and where is the best placement? Also, how about the ones where the heads can sweep back and forth?

salty rick

I would have at least two to three powerheads. In my 55 reef tank I have four smaller ones with a combined 680 gph and a canister filter putting out 170 gph, however, I have corals and LR so I need more circulation.
Many have raved about the powersweep powerheads. They do have an advantage in that they provide sweeping circulation.

c_bell

In my 55 gal FOWLR i have two small both with rotating heads placed in the back two coners. IME this has worked out well for me. You might also want to think about a spray bar. I might go this route on my new 46 bow front. HTH

c_bell

In my 55 gal FOWLR i have two small both with rotating heads placed in the back two coners. IME this has worked out well for me. You might also want to think about a spray bar. I might go this route on my new 46 bow front. HTH