Power Loss - Temp Drop

ohioreef

Due to an ice storm, I lost power for about 14 hours. My tank dropped to about 70 degrees from a normal 78 degrees.
Should I be concerned? Should I let the heater heat it back up slowly or should I help it along with heated water?
All I have in my tank is a yellow tang, 2 damsels, 2 feather dusters and some snails and hermits.

solonfairy

let your heater raise the temp... dont try to raise too fast.
a rapid increase could be more damaging than anything.

ohioreef

Thanks. That's kinda what I was thinking. Just when it seemed that it was coming up, the power went out again!!
We're back on now, but for how long no one knows.

ohioreef

No, unfortunately I do not. That will be a purchase in the near future.
We don't normally have power issues around here, but the ice storm took out a ton of power poles, power lines and trees. Luckily I live near a major route through the county so we got restored pretty quickly.

bang guy

Those air pumps can be found in any bait store. I've seen them at Walmart too. They'll keep the water circulating for quite a while on a pair of 'D' batteries.

dicemanj

I also live in Ohio and had issues with power before Christmas. I bought a converter that you plug into your car outlet and it converts power to 110. For $40 I could run 600 watts of my truck parked in the garage.
This was not ideal, but it kept the circulation and temp up.
I did not run in constantly. half hour on, half hour off.

ohioreef

diceman,
what all did you run off the inverter? I've thought of getting a deep cycle battery and putting an inverter on it. Not sure how long it would last though.