power outage

er..md

Hope somebody has an answer...the power went out at my clinic/office today.and may be off for a while becaus of line problems..anybody know how long the fish/coral in my 2 24g aquapods can survice? Temp should not be a problem...
thanks

reefer545

depends on bioload, but NOT LONG> sorry. You should consider getting a gas powered generator from home depot and run the two tanks off of it. 24 g is small and the toxins build up FAST!!!!! Yo uneed to have the filtration running. Go now!!! Get them running. If they last ONE DAY IWILL BE SURPRISED!!! Once again SORRY! HURRY GO STOP READING THIS AND GO!!

er..md

We have a 35 kw gas generator that runs the whole building...unfortuantely they are hooking up the gas in the am....I have been told the outage should be a total of 6 hours...I suspect that won't be a big problem

ec

Originally Posted by ER..MD
Hope somebody has an answer...the power went out at my clinic/office today.and may be off for a while becaus of line problems..anybody know how long the fish/coral in my 2 24g aquapods can survice? Temp should not be a problem...
thanks
Fish will live for 24 hours in a DARK room. If the tank is cloed to windows or door, cover it with something, so animals in the tank will be calmed and use less oxygen.

ec

We have a 35 kw gas generator that runs the whole building...unfortuantely they are hooking up the gas in the am....I have been told the outage should be a total of 6 hours...I suspect that won't be a big problem
I don't know if anyone tries this...
I use a APC UPS power surge + battery backup that is normally used for computers, TVs, or something similar. Well, when the power goes down, it will give you extra power. Surge also protects the equipment and your home/office. Just need to make sure you purchase the right one with enough watts. Hope that helps~

peef

I live in florida the land of hurricanes, because of this I was trying to figure out how to do for power outages. I bought 4 battery powered airstone pumps. I left one of them on to see how long they last on the batteries and 4.5 days later it is still going STRONG!!!!!!!!!!!! So I would recommend just picking up a few of those to tie you over. They create water movement and oxygenation. Generator would be better but 4x $8.00 or 1x $600 you can do the math. Hope this helps and your tanks are ok....by the way mine is a 24g nano and in a test run 2 airstones in dt was great and 4 was better.

earlybird

Should be fine for a few hours. Sounds like you are at work. Get a cup and dip and pour every once in a while to keep gas exchange.

er..md

Our generator is now installed so it shouldn't be an issue....totally forgot about the numerous oxygen tanks I have laying around.....could have kept them bubbling for days

azfishgal

Our generator is now installed so it shouldn't be an issue....totally forgot about the numerous oxygen tanks I have laying around.....could have kept them bubbling for days
Sorry, that just made me laugh.
Glad to see your tanks will be ok.