POWERHEAD and VENTURI QUESTION

jr1053

Hi all. Been having some trouble trying to figure out how to correctly set up my Power Heads so that I can use the Venturi air input. Whenever I attach my airline tubing to the powerhead attachment with the bib for the air hose all I get is a spray of water which shoots out of the airhose and no air gets into the powerhead. Should the Venuri adapter be attached to the Inlet or Outlet side of the powerhead? So far I've been trying to hook it up to the Outlet side with the result being that water gets sprayed out of the airline. Should you always use an air pump with a Venturi or is it capable of using ambient air if hooked up properly? So far I've just been interested in increasing my oxygen levels in my tank but I hope to hook up an Ozonizer to my skimmer's pump soon as well.I've been trying to use Maxi-Jet and Aqua Clear powerheads. Thanks for your help.

jasenhicks

The venturi should be on the outlet of the pump, and it sucks in air as the water rushes past the small airline hole. It creates a "vacuum" at that hole, and sucks the air in, where it mixes with the water. Try bringing the pump shallow in your tank, and plugging it in. Make sure the airline tube is outside of the tank. Also, try blowing into the airline, it may need to get started... never nad to do it myself, never had this problem. I would take a look at the directions in the box, and make sure you have it connected right.

jr1053

Thanks for your reply. I definately have it connected up correctly to the Output side of the Power Head as you suggested in your response. I tried blowing air through the tubing and it produced large bubbles in the water output but when I stopped blowing in the air tubing water again began filling up the tubing. Can't figure out what I might be doing wrong.....

jasenhicks

Maybe some pictures might help. I cant visuallize the setup, so i cant give you a definate answer. If the ventruri is installed backwards then it could cause it, but if its installed permanetley then, its probably right.