Powerhead....Current Question?????

saltfisher

I was at my LFS and some new guy they had in the saltwater dept told me that a current is NEEDED in a tank. So I went and bought two powerheads and placed them on each side of my tank, blowing towards each other. I have two Fluval 404's on the tank and I thought they were causing enough current, but.....Is this true info and were the powerheads needed???????

kevin j

If anything the new powerheads cannot hurt! The extra current will help get rid of any dead spots in your tank.:)

ironreef

fwiw in a fo I would want at least 8x tank turnoffer via sump return ,filters ,powerheads ect... In a reef I would stive for more depending on your corals. If you've been to a reef you can see all the waves. I have over 20x an hour in my tank

ironreef

10x is fine if you have softies. IME sps like more thats why I have 20x. Another factor is return size. 3/4 is gonna blast at 1000gph but 1 1/2 is gonna be gentle current at 1000gph. So I guess theres alot of varibles

This is interesting! It reads like a different lenguage... What is is that your talking Ironreef? Really cant understand what you are trying to say? 10 times 20 times 3/4 1000gph..... Please specify me at a high school level :( I wanna know tooo!

Got cha' Thanks now I understand.... I have 20times in my 75gl reef tank... 75 times 20 = 1,500gph... I got 4 maxi jet at 230gph = 920gph... plus the 403 fluval filter... Dont know how many gls. per hour it does... But I know I'm hitting at least 18 times an hour :D Pretty cool huh... now that I have learned something new ;)

Well I got 4 sno-flake eels when they werevery little about five inches. Some times they chase each other from there territory. A12" inch ring eel. And is less agreesive that the sno flakes... now the sno flakes grew around 8 to 9 inches each and the ring eel is like 14 or 15 inches... I have like seven diffrent structures separated from each other ( some rocks with caves, A sunken ship, some decoration plants, some dead coral rocks.) On diff spots.... they get along and show really nice aggressive ness once in a while to each other...