Powerhead help

plyah8a

I have a 75 gallon tank 2 clowfish and some damsels. I am picking up an anemone today. I was told they need good water movement. What powerhead do you suggest? How many gallons per hour? Also should I run current towards the water flow of my MAgnum 350 or towards the filters water picker upper? All help apprreciated.

T

thomas712

I would get at very least 2 Maxi Jet 900's, maybe 3.
Your only filtration is a canister? and a HOB filter?
What about your lighting?
What kind of anemone are you getting?

plyah8a

My only filtration is my Hob Magnum pro 350 and the 100 lbs of live rock (natural filtration). I also have a prizm protein skimmer (which sucks because it sprung a leak)
Lighting is 4x65 10000k w/ lunar system all set to timers.
Should all the heads be in the same direction?

mbrands

I've never had an anemone, but I do know that you don't want any "dead spots" in your tank. There should be some flow in all areas.
I've read that you should have a minimum of 10x your tank size in gph, preferably 20x. Again, I've never had an anemone, so someone else might be able to give better advice.
Good luck!

C

crm13

You could just experiment with placement. Just try and aim the current from the heads in different directions, and towards different levels to create a somewhat random pattern. Just don't aim any so low in the tank that it tends to kick up any sand. I have also read that having them go all in the same direction is a good thing. You will get a different result from each of the heads depending on where you aim the output. I went that route in my tank, and noticed the best results with my coral. I would say that you should have at least one pointed towards the surface to help break up any film and increase your gas exchange. Just mess around with it. The best placement is where you notice the best response from your inhabitants. I don't think that there are really any "rules" for powerhead placement. As far as the anemone, it will probably wander a bit once you place it in the tank. It will usually find a spot where the current and lighting is to it's liking. I do, however, think that your lighting situation is much too shy for most anemones to do well. Some do not require as much lighting as others, but most require some relatively intense lighting to really do well. I have about 400 watts of pc lighting on my 55, and my bta seems to be doing pretty good. I have only had him for about 8 or 9 months, but so far so good. And to put lighting in perspective, bubble tips do not require as much lighting as many other types to do well. Most will recommend metal halide lighting for keeping anemones because they are best providing the intense lighting that most anemones really require. hth

T

thomas712

I would at least place one in each back corner of the tank pointing toward the middle section. You can place a smaller one on the side pointing along the back of the aquarium to keep movement there.
Thomas

snipe

I bought 2 400's and I placed in the back corner and turned them to the front of the glass and angled down alittle. as you can see in the pic. With two of them facing the middle and angled that way and with my skimmer and filter I have plenty of circulation.

I

inf

ok since we are on the subject of powerheads. from what I'm reading is that the best movment is the most movment .....now I'm thinking trout in a stream here or those fish that jump rapids :) but also what i'm getting is that you want at least ONE to break the top of the water to help with gas exchange but for some reason I was thining deep ocean little movement was best and I only have one powerhead and it might put out 300 GPH dunno its a powerhead brand and a 402

wax32

All I know is I've got 2 MJ 1200's in my 29 gallon and the fish have no problem with the current. :D I've got them both pointed slightly at the surface and I got some nice ripples, to say the least!