powerhead help

clownfishy

I just got a profile powerhead and there are no real intructions. and i was woundering what i do with the airline tube do i leave in in the water or put it up out of the tank

aarone

throw it away and cap the hole it goes in...it just shoots bubbles into the tank, which are not desirable in SW tanks.
aaron

dcel22

I just left my tube close shut so that I don't get air bubbles. Just incase if I sell it down the road. A buyer might want that tube. This way I figure just incase for when it may come time to sell it you have more potential buyers. What's it hurt to just connect it and close the one end off you know.

dcel22

Originally posted by aarone
appearance i guess.

yeah I will agree. In my opinion it doesn't really matter which way you go, to me it just doesn't bug me that much I guess. I assume it is bad for SW tanks because it makes bubbles and they pop thus getting saltwater all over the top of the tank and then evaporate leaving salt on the top? Do people normally use the bubbles for FW???

aarone

salt creep. The bubbles pop on the surface and shoot salt every where causing it to stay in one place and crystallize
aaron

cprdnick

And they're ugly!!!!!!!!!!
The larger bubbles aren't all that harmful, but as aarone said, they are a pain in their own way. Micro bubbles however are harmful, and eventually your bubbles will turn into micro bubbles from some sort of agitation. Micro bubbles can get under the gills of your fish and can give them, somewhat like the bends to us, and kill them.
Clint