Powerhead location

gpyetiman

What are good recommended locations for powerheads? Will not having proper circulation in a tank cause high nitrate levels? :help:

who dey

yes it can, but the key to low nites is a great clean-up crew to sift through your substrate and eat uneaten foods which cause nites and po4 levels to rise. Powernheads are great for eliminating stagnant water areas which can lead to unwanted algae and cyanobacteria(red slime) if nitrates levels are high. A good skimmer will eliminate any proteins which are a threat to nitrate-free water.

who dey

Originally Posted by gpyetiman
What are good recommended locations for powerheads? Will not having proper circulation in a tank cause high nitrate levels? :help:
I personally don't use any because I have a 15x turnover rate and the flow through my tank is like a jacuzzi. If your flow is light put one on each side of your tank creating a cross stream and you should be ok. whats your filtration? and turnover rate?(Gallons per hour)

reefkprz

I use alot of medium to low power power heads on a wave maker. I reccommend any that you place in your tank have conlflicting flow paths to create turbulance and unpredictable currents. that way no "stagnant" areas remain. with the wave maker an area that is low flow allowing sediment and stuff to settle becomes higher flow to kick it back up again at another period. mine is on three minute shifts today. another day I will shift it to one minute. some days up to as long as five minutes per powerhead, so that just like in the ocean the flow remains steady yet unpredictable. your most likley going to have low flow areas at all times but those are good for certain corals and such. IMO this works pretty well not allowing stuff to settle at all. and like posted above a good clean up crew is needed no matter how you place power heads.