powerhead placement

larrynews

i have a 90 gallon reef i'm tring to find the best place to put the powerheads....i have 2 with little waterflow and then the return water from the filter...then a larger powerhead with like 400 gph...sorry i dont know the smaller ones i think 200 or so...thanks for any help

newty

can you provide more info about your reef. something like rock placement, how much rock you have, corals, etc? in my 75 gallon, i have 5 maxijet 1200s connected to a wavemaker. 2 are always on and 2 alternae with each other and the last one is on and off every 3 min. now, each powerhead is almost 300 gallons/hour, and at most i have 1200 gallons/hour of movement. i am planning on getting rid of most of the powerheads when i finally set up my overflow and sump/refugium.
as for placement, i have 2 located on the side glass, towards the front and the water is directed towards the centre of the back glass. 2 of them are placed in water midlevel on the side glass towards the back with the nozzels facing the front glass. the last one is located at the back of my rockwork, which helps prevent stagnant water accumulation.
hope this helps, newty.

larrynews

i have about 180 lbs of rock....the simple stuff like yellow pylops..green brain...meat coarl on the bottem....2 long ten. anmones...candy cane coral...and my placement now is if this is the tank.
.....................................point down @ gravel