Powerhead placement

What is the suggested placement for powerheads in the tank. I have a 75 with two powerfilters, one on each side of the back wall, 2 aquaclear 70 powerheads, one on each side wall and one 50 in the center. The center one is above my heater and is pumping down. The two on the sides point towards the front of the tank and I notice the fish stay towards the bottom of the tank unless I turn the units off, then they use the whole tank. I am wondering if I should lower one or both the side wall mounted powerheads to the bottom of the tank, but if I do the flow from the head would blow away everything around it.

brijean

I dont know what your going to put in your tank but if you plan on a Anemone i would put the powerheads very close to the top i had one power head suck up a long ten Anemone and do some really good damage to it so just something to think about there

snakeblitz33

I generally like 10x the aquarium volume in internal flow in a fish only aquarium and about 20 to 25 for soft corals and lps corals. I like to go a bit higher for SPS corals.
I would place a koralia 4 on the top, front corner of the tank blowing twards the rocks and central part of the tank and then I would place one smaller powerhead, like a maxijet powerhead behind the rocks on the bottom right side of the tank. Flow behind and around the rocks is essential because then your rocks can't "clog" with detritus and be inefficiant.
I hope this helps.

oceansidefish

There is certainly no harm in trying out different powerhead patterns in your tank! Stir things up! Just keep in mind that the goal is to not have dead zones, you don't want to be blasting everyone in the tank either

kazara

I too am trying to figure were the best place top put my powerhead. Right now i have it at the top back right hand corner blowing along the back side in a 55gal. I have to power filters from marineland.

I started with just 2 50 series ac, which seemed weak, so I upgraged to the 70's. The top looks very turbulent, but I can't tall about the bottom. I may move one to the bottom and turn the volume down to circulate at the bottom. I wish the nozzle had a diffuser instead of being just a round tube.
I am not looking to do coral, only fishies, rock and maybe an anenome.

trouble93

Originally Posted by kazara
http:///forum/post/2759697
I too am trying to figure were the best place top put my powerhead. Right now i have it at the top back right hand corner blowing along the back side in a 55gal. I have to power filters from marineland.
I have a 55gal. reef tank and what I did was I put a maxi-jet 1200 in the upper righthand front coner facing the middle of the tank a smaller in left coner one on the bottom between lr blowing through caves another back right coner blowing across the back wall bottom left coner fluval plus 4 blowing to the center...And there are no dead spots in the tank.