powerhead placement

I have a 60 gallon tank with 90lbs of live rock in it, my tank is really long instead of being tall, so the live rock isnt really that half, goes up about half the tank but its thickly compressed, I have 2 stock heads in the uppper corners that shoot across but can be moved, I just got 2 new rio 1500 powerheads that I put in, the guy at my LFS said do not put it behind the rock cuz calicum willl build on them, but thats just as well because I cant get them behind the rock without re-arranging everything.. so my question is where do I point the flow? I have them attached above the rock one on each side, i kinda have them going across the top of the rocks but my anemone who was sitting there moved into a cave, Guess they dont like current? So where should I point it where it wont disrupt my tank?

clarkiiboi

So you will have 4 PH's? (Stock heads I am assuming are PH's also). IMO, 2 on the top back or side pointing towards each other (flows meeting in the middle), and another (if you can figure out a way), maybe low on a side of the tank, blowing behind the rocks close a bit above the sand bed (eliminate dead spots/build up back there) and 1 in the middle of the back glass pointing towards the front to push movement forward and then bouncing back off the front glass. I have power sweeps so I get an advantage of the sweeping action, but with that they are not great. You said your rocks are thickly compressed---might want to get some caves/swimming holes in them. 2 reasons---water flow and fish like to swim in and out of. Most anenomes dont like strong current and will move, it will find a spot it likes soon. If you have corals keep an eye on it. HTH.