powerhead positioning?

roggy23

are PH's best effective if placed where the water flow hits the surface of the water or should a PH be place lower in a tank(like middle) underneath the water surface, which method is most effective against algae and cyano?

Roggy23, we have most of ours at the top. In each tank we have one that is 1/3 of the way down under top of water.
They face the front glass, hit it and spray out.
One tank has the rotating ph. I really like it. It is in the middle back facing forward with 45 degree rotation.

dburr

are PH's best effective if placed where the water flow hits the surface of the water or should a PH be place lower in a tank(like middle) underneath the water surface, which method is most effective against algae and cyano?
Yes and yes.:yes: :D Both, multiple power heads is best. Good for random current and gas-exchange.
I have 2 PH on timers, 1 on all the time, 1 behind the rocks in a closed loop and then I have my return from the sump.

zap800

well i have 2 smallish ocilating power heads and my prizm skimmer for circulation in my tank the ph are on the far ends of the tank and the skimmer is in the middle (almost). but i am a newbie so take my advise with a grain of salt lol

belothsurf

tough question......it actually depends on your tank. Ideally for a reef tank, you want at least 10 times an hour turnover rate, but it ultimately depends on what you have in your tank. I've got only softies and I have fun with changing my currents....sometimes I'll try to spook my colt and toadstool leather.....I'll grab 2 ph's and spin them through the tank, haha, they think Hurricane Andrew has re-arrived....scares the crap out of them.......JUST KIDDING! :D You want good water flow, Without much turbulence, but, different corals need different water flows. Soft corals like the sway back and forth motion. At least mine do!:happyfish