Powerhead power in a 30G

mismodliz

In a 30G setup, should the powerhead run 24 hours or just when the lights are on? Also, how much power is recommended (gph)? One powerhead or two?

T

tampausmc

definitely run it 24/7...........and you also should post your gph rating on your filter and also what kind of skimmer you have since both of these create flow as well.....and it depends on what you are keeping
i have a 28 gallon with a 270 gph powerhead and filter which pumps 200 gph and a coralife super skimmer.....
they also say that two powerheads are better but in my tank the room is getting pretty tight.....but if you can fit two it will create more natural flow

mismodliz

We have a 30G setup with lr (maybe 16lbs?), thin sand bed, mushrooms, watchman goby, lawnmower blenny, cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, and a false precula.
We are working our way out of a hair algae outbreak and would like to acquire many more corals: hammer, xeniz, colt to start plus an anenome for the prec and a tang.
Husband doesn't know what powerhead he's running. Filter is a HOB Tetra-Tec PF 150 which pumps 150 gph.
We have a lot of open space in the tank right now as we cut back the LR while fighting the hair algae.

jsgreer1

if you have any filter or skimmer at all i would say two maxi-jet 400's would be fine they are rated at 110 gph each thats 220 all you need is around 100 more and surely your filter does that.

sufunk2

I have a maji-jet 400 and 2 900's in my 36 (not to mention a skimmer and filter)and i can tell you that the 400 isnt very strong. Even 2 of those isnt going to be enough IMHO.

debdeb

I'm running 2 power heads at 300gph each, my skimmer at about 300gph and my filter at 240gph in my 37 gallon. I'm not sure if anyone else caught your wish list for your 30 gallon tank, and I'm a newbie so not very knowledgable myself, but I don't think there are any tangs that should be squeezed into a 30 gallon tank. They really require a lot of swimming room and probably no less than a 55 gallon for the smaller species and more for the larger ones. You may want to check with others here before you buy any more fish since it seems like you are almost to the limit of your tank now. This is sure an exciting and addictive hobby, isn't it. I never dreamed I would be so hooked. :happyfish

mismodliz

Originally Posted by 100 Guppi
ABSOULUTLY NO TANGS FIT IN A 30 GAL!!!!
DO YOUR RESEARCH
That's why I'm here. LFS said it was ok, but I wasn't so sure.