Powerhead question

ocgirlygrl

I have a 12 gallon tank and already have 2 mushroom corals, and 1 rock of star polyps. I would like to start getting more, but I don't have any powerheads. First of all, I don't know anything about powerheads, other than they move the water around! So, I have a few questions. How many should I put in? And if I get the powerheads, are they self-powered, or do I need something else to power them?
Thanks for your help!

arkey.d

Powerheads are self propelled. I would get 2 small powerheads for water circulation and sponge filter attachments so nothing can get sucked into the powerhead.
I would place one powerhead on the leftside of the tank and the other on the rightside of the tank.

woodymdt

The powerheads have cord and plugs on them, so they're self powered once you plug them in.
I'm still learning, but on a 12 gallon? You might be able to get away with your power filter, and then a small powerhead to push the water underneath the surface.

mbrands

I do NOT recommend Rio or the ZooMed powersweep.
I use Hagen Aquaclear and haven't had any problems with them.

ocgirlygrl

Okay, I have one more problem now. I don't think I have an undergravel filter, because I have LS. But, looking at the powerheads they are all saying for use with undergravel filters. HELP! Please!:help:

mbrands

You don't have to have an undergravel filter to use a powerhead. Aquaclears (and most likely all other brands) come with suction cups so that you can stick them to the glass anywhere you want.

arkey.d

Don't worry about that. Your just going to place the powerheads on thier own one on each side of the tank. But make sure you get an attachment like a sponge for them.

mbrands

Originally posted by arkey.d
But make sure you get an attachment like a sponge for them.

If you go with the smaller size AquaClear, they come with a sort of screen to prevent any fish from getting sucked in. I use the AquaClear 30 for mixing smaller batches of new water and it came with it built in.

mbrands

If you cover the intake with a sponge, keep in mind that you are lowering the advertised gallons per hour.