Powerhead Question?

new-guy

Does Anyone Think 2 400 Maxijets In A 45 Gal Is Enough Becuce I Was Thinking Maybe 1 Or 2 More To Place At The Bottom To Face Each Other From Opposite Sides Thanks

swfishfan

The ideal is to get 20x your tank size of water movement. Things to factor in are your return pump, your power heads and to a certain point your protein skimmer. I was once told that if you look down at the tank and you can see your inhabitants clearly or a little distorted you need more flow, so i hope this helps.

new-guy

Im Using A Coralife 125 Skimmer A Marineland Up To 55 Gal Canister Filter And Two Maxijet 400s For A 45 Gal Let Me Kn Ow What You Think?

new-guy

I Dont Have Any Hob Filters? The Maxijets Gph Are 11o And The Canister Is Like 230 I Dont Know What The Skimmer Is I Know Is Rated For 125 Tank And I Have A 45

swfishfan

For a 45 your movement should be 900 Gallons Per Hour, thats at 20 x's your tank size, for 30 x's your looking at 1350. I pretty sure youll be ok, with the two maxi jets putting out about 800 gph and then factor int he rest your at or around 1200 gph. So youll be more than ok with those two powerheads alone.

swfishfan

Those extra two at the bottom would have given you a problem, first your sanbed would be blowing across the tank and maybe rising up ammonia and the other problem would have been alot of corals like low flow, and usually the bottom is there safe haven, you would have eliminated that option for yourself..but glad to have helped and enjoy the hobby.