powerhead too strong?

dhbrk

i have a rio 800 powerhead that pumps 70 gph. i have a 30 gallon long ways tank. is this powerhead too strong?

N

needhelp

you will be alright i heard of people ot even using airation

slick

as long as your not cracking the glass your ok I have 3 maxi jet 1200's 295gph in my 90

wrassecal

I just took out one of my maxi jet 400's and added a 1200 (along with the other 400)in my 55 and poor colt is getting blown all over the tank! Oh darn, gonna have to mess with the live rock again :D Really, you don't have too much. I really needed more turn over and everything else, especially the fish love the higher turbulence areas.

dhbrk

what if when the horshoe crab trys to swim, he gets nailed with the current and goes flying the other way and all over the place? I just need someone to tell me how powerful i need. Please reply I appreciate it.

rapt0r32

I think you have enough. I like the one comment if it isnt cracking your glass you are ok. In my 125 I have 3 Penguin 550's 2 1140 1 power sweep 228 1 powerhead 402 and a Little giant flowing into the tank. I am sure most of this is over kill by I like circulating my water 10-12 times in an hour if at all possible.

S

sandy

Now ya'll got me thinking that I have way too little current/circulation in my tank.
50 gal long. Fluval Output upper left, Powerhead ummm 300? Upper right. Very small Rio's (50?) bottom left and right behind rock. Small Rio front left blowing towards rock to prevent red slime algae on a particular rock. Also have a modified Skilter hang on.

frankl15207

If that's all that you have moving the water, you are actually a little short. You should be moving about 300 gallons per hour. Add any filtration that you are using, etc. and see what your total comes to.
My 75 has three powerheads on a wavemaker, two running full time and an emperor 400. I calculate someone between 1,100 and 1,400 GPH depending on what is on the wavemaker at any given time. I have always targeted for 10 to 20 times water volume for saltwater. In a fish only tank, I've always found 12 to 15 times works best.
Here is what GARF recommends for your 30 long if it was a reef tank:
Recommended Power heads for providing current
Water flow is one of the most important elements in the Bullet Proof Reef . Current not only brings nutrients to the coral but it also helps remove waste. GARF recommends using Aquarium Systems' Maxi-Jet and Mini-Jet power heads for your bullet proof reef. The use of a Wave Maker power strip (add 2 more power heads) is also recommended to make the current in the reef more random.
Qty Description Minimum GPH
3 - 4 Maxi-Jet MP400 318

S

sandy

Thanks. I will research the literature on my powerheads and pumps (GPH) as soon as I have time. (Fluval 304, Modified Skilter, Powerhead 301 and now 3 small (50) rio pumps). I turned the Powerhead 301 up to max and added the third Rio for now. Def. have improved circulation. Will do this until I can afford better powerheads. (50 gal long).