powerheads (best types)

litlfishy

I am starting up a new FO tank, and would like some help on picking out powerheads. What is a good brand? The rotating heads look like a good idea, yes or no? Thanks for all the help!! This board takes a lot of the stress out of starting a new tank!

ddt

I have heard nothing good about the Powersweeps, althogh I have not personally used them. I use Maxi-jet 1200's and have not had any problems with them.

jumpfrog

Only use Maxi-Jets. Solid performers available at good prices.
Haven't used the others.
Good Luck!

i use maxi-jets in my display tanks. although i use hagen powerheads in my propa gaton tanks. if you want to use a wavemaker then go with the maxi-jets.
as for the power sweeps. BIGGEST CRAP PILES EVER! don't waste your money. they clog all the time and need to be taken apart and cleaned every day or so to work properly. i thought they were cool to when they first came out, so i bought three of them. i think they're in the staten island landfill now.:D

iceburger

just bought a maxi jet tonight...for the GPH they are the most compact powerhead i've ever seen, pengiuns and hagens are so much bigger...

marinemarty

Hi, I use Maxi-Jets 1200 's. My only issue is the heat produced by the 1200's. I am thinking of going with the 900's to reduce total AMPS and heat. HTH
Martin

I am using 2 301 Hagen PH's in my 75G sW tank. One mounted on each end in the back facing inward and down a bit toward my LR.
I didnt think this was enough , it says they each pump up to 174 GPH, doesnt seem to be really strong enough. So i bought another, (to replace the 301)I think it was a hagen 800?? I put it on and it was SO strong!!(Like a whirlpool with lots of bubbles) So, I took it out. Also the tip isnt adjustable.
Also, I was thinking about getting the ones with the sponge attached to the end to catch all the debris... What are your thoughts on PH's and their strength for my 75G???
See signature for set up so far..
Thanking you kindly, Kim

scubamedic

I am using the ViaAqua 480 pump. Comes with everything, is quite and very strong. I have it turn on and off and it always restarts.
The best part is it is only $12.