Powerheads- Bubbles yes or no?

hurricanedrift

When using a powerhead for water movement in a fish only live rock tank is it advantageous or disadvantageous to introduce bubbles into the waterflow? Why?

buzz

There are several reasons for not introducing air bubbles.
1 - The salt spray from the bubbles popping at the surface will get all over everything.
2 - I have heard that the microbubbles can actually be bad for fish when they take them through their gills.
3 - Detracts from the appearance of the tank.
As long as there is surface agitation, the water gets oxygenated enough.

jtroutine

you dont want bubbles! water movement at the surface is good and what is the best is if you are using a skimmer-lots of gas exchange there. Maybe consider a battery powered air pump and air stone for if and when you have power failure. Low o2 on a sw tanks can be disator

OK, here's my situation - I have a 26 gal with 40 lbs live sand and 25 lbs live rock. I have a hang on powerfilter, and I bought a maxi jet 900 powerhead for circulation, and a visijet 100 protein skimmer. the skimmer is a powerhead with a venturi attached to an acrylic cylinder. the venturi puts tiny tiny air bubbles into the column, and a stream of these tiny tiny bubbles comes out of the bottom of the column along with the water from the skimmer. If I close the venturi, then the air isn't mixing, and therefore the skimmer is useless. If i allow the air to mix, then i am getting small bubbles in my tank water. what should i do?

buzz

If you just bought the skimmer, give it time. It probably needs to break in. That is the case with a lot of skimmers, and the bubbles usually go away.

dacia

I'm glad that I came across this particular thread...I had my powerhead set to make bubbles becuase I thought that it was pretty...and I know that FW fish like them. Didn't realize there was a difference. I'm glad that I found out different before the cycle was complete so I could correct the problem without hurting any fish that I might have had! :) Now my powerhead is creating a current without all the bubbles. Thanx guys!