Powerheads keep coming undone

drewdog82

I have maxi-jet powerheads. I have a hair algae problem that I have been working on and I have to constantly pull the bottom screens off the powerheads and wash the hair algae off of them. It seems every time I do this and put the screens back on, one of the powerheads comes undone from the glass and ends up blowing my sand all over the place... Is it just me, I am the only one getting defected suction cups??? Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these things to stick better to the glass???? :help:

landolakes

I think everyone deals with that, I just wrap the cord around something so that if it does does come loose it wont angle all the way down and hit the sand.

D

davidmwj

Originally Posted by landolakes
I think everyone deals with that, I just wrap the cord around something so that if it does does come loose it wont angle all the way down and hit the sand.
That's a great idea! I haven't had any problems with my cups yet, but I heard it does happen over time. I really didn't want to use the hooks that came with it. I have a couple of mj 900's.

merredeth

Actually, if you forget the suction cup attachment and just super glue the inner magfloat to the powerhead and then you place the outer magnet outside the tank, it will hold very nicely.
Then you have the ability to move them to clean or to change around without having to battle the suction cup problem.
Denise M.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If there is anything that is consistently aggravating in this hobby, its this problem. lol
The mag float trick works well, so I hear. I just always had a supply of extra suction cups. Since they wear out quick, I'd just keep them new and working well.

merredeth

Originally Posted by Beth
If there is anything that is consistently aggravating in this hobby, its this problem. lol
The mag float trick works well, so I hear. I just always had a supply of extra suction cups. Since they wear out quick, I'd just keep them new and working well.
I've done the suction cup replacement thing and hate it.
The ones at the dollar store I had to cut the nub where you would attach it to the hanger some. Almost like nicking it bit by bit with a razor. It was a total pain in the rear.
Beth, do you just order new ones or have another place you find them? Someone might want to know if you found them someplace that fit without having to cut the nubs like I did for ages.
Denise M.

symon

Most LFS's carry them for replacement, I have the same problem and have been thinking of a better way to attach them, I like the mag float idea!

merredeth

Originally Posted by Symon
Most LFS's carry them for replacement, I have the same problem and have been thinking of a better way to attach them, I like the mag float idea!
My LFS doesn't carry them. However, rather than replacing suction cups all the time, a one time buy of a mag float seems like it is less of a hassle - and eventually cheaper if I were to buy replacement parts online or through the parts brochure that came with the maxi-jets. The small magfloat works on the maxi-jets and cost me a whopping $5.99. Shipping and suction cups could be more.
Denise M.