Pre filters Pre filters Pre filters

lexluethar

If you have an anemone you should use prefilters. I had a little accident earlier in the week and lost half my stock as well as my BTA...
I have the covers on all of my PH, and all are located in areas that are very difficult to get near the intake of the PH (so no fish or invert get caught and die). I did not have the fine prefilters like pantyhose or spounges though.
Anyways long story short my anemone has been wondering constantly since a weird split about a month ago. The anemone twisted itself and the twisted mantle near the foot tore. Over the course of two weeks the tear became more and more apparent eventually totally tearing off. Both parts (foot and body) healed. The foot later died. The body continued to do fine aside from wondering A LOT.
It was also weird, it never 'moved' like it used to. It used to move with its foot planted and kind of shuffled accross the rockwork and sand. After the weird split it never moved on its foot (or where the foot used to be) and would crawl on its side accross rockwork CONSTANTLY.
Yes everything i measured was fine, i truely think the wandering had to do with the injured foot (which was totally healed).
It eventually wondered into a weird spot and got destroyed by a large PH. Nothing was left. Two fish died and my corals were pretty T-ed off for a few days. Three water changes and getting Nitrates<15 later here I am.
Jus wanted to share my story, more for the educational value of the twisting of the anemone - most people already know to have prefilters.

lexluethar

Ya, i've read that thread. It is my own fault - but I do have covers on them, just nothing as small as pantyhose or spounges.
And for the last 1.5 years it has been in the same location loving life until the weird split.
Guess I can use this as a new starting point, and maybe focus on more corals now. I haven't boughten much in my tank since I was always worried about the anemone moving - and to be honest when it was fully inflated durring the day it took about 30% of the tank so I didn't have room to add much else (have mushrooms, yellow polyps, zoes, one leather, and a hammer coral).
New beggings I suppose.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2847462
Ya, i've read that thread. It is my own fault - but I do have covers on them, just nothing as small as pantyhose or spounges.
And for the last 1.5 years it has been in the same location loving life until the weird split.
Guess I can use this as a new starting point, and maybe focus on more corals now. I haven't boughten much in my tank since I was always worried about the anemone moving - and to be honest when it was fully inflated durring the day it took about 30% of the tank so I didn't have room to add much else (have mushrooms, yellow polyps, zoes, one leather, and a hammer coral).
New beggings I suppose.
Im in the same boat as you man. Although when I get my other tank running I am going to relocate my corals not my anemone. The anem will have his own 30Gal tank with my clowns all to his self. All corals that I can move I will.

lexluethar

Guess I just need suggestions on what to focus on now:) I haven't had much luck with acros - I don't believe they do well in tanks w/ leathers and softies. I have a MH and the two acros (bought from two different places) I had died over a few months period.
So i think hard corals are out - they don't like my tank... Any other 'colorful' suggestions that would go well with polyps, mushrooms, a leather, and a hammer coral?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2847476
Guess I just need suggestions on what to focus on now:) I haven't had much luck with acros - I don't believe they do well in tanks w/ leathers and softies. I have a MH and the two acros (bought from two different places) I had died over a few months period.
So i think hard corals are out - they don't like my tank... Any other 'colorful' suggestions that would go well with polyps, mushrooms, a leather, and a hammer coral?
Ummm hell yea... Acans I LOVE Acans prob my fav corals ever. Zoanthids dude soooo many colors so many possibilities.. and Ricordias I love em FL rics and Yumas.. Clove polyps blues, oranges,and yellows... un real colors. Im not a fan of sps, and no they do not do well with leathers.

lexluethar

Ya i heard sps like acros didn't do well w/ softies like leathers and mushrooms b/c they like to slim up, and the slim will kill the hard corals. I tried to give good direct flow to them which prolonged the inevitable...
Okay so this is what i was thinking, let me know if you see conflicts:
-Mushrooms - prolly some blue spotted.
-Definately some ricordea mushrooms
-Zoos
Would soft corals be okay with a hammer and leather? I could go all zoos and mushrooms but i would like a few larger corals.
-Carnation
-Colt coral
Any other larger corals?

perfectdark

I would nix the carnation.. wayyy to much work to keep one healthy and they typically do not last long. Systems with constant phyto drips heavy filtering and flow seem to have the most luck with em.
For shrooms... I like green hairy shrooms I think they are cool. I also like superman shrooms, google them, unreal color. Red with defined blue spots.
I have many colt corals, they grow like weeds frag themselves and pop up every where. I dont mind them so I keep a few around. Unlike yellow star polyps which I am trying to kill in my tank but they seem to be winning. LOL. If you want a colt coral lemme know I will send you a frag for free just send me $$ for shipping.
I dont see any real conflicts my fav leather is a toadstool, specifically tyree green toadstool it has a pink base and floures green polyps.

lexluethar

I can definately do that Dark - I would love if you could send me a frag. We can PM later if you seriously would like to do that.
Okay so colt is in - ya I see them around a lot and hear they grow like crazy.
So we got zoos, mushrooms, and colts... Anything else relatively large like the colt? Should I stay away from things like candy cane corals? My hammer head coral seems to be doing great.
So you don't like your yellow polyps now? I thought you had some a while back - I still have some as well and i've kinda got them in a controlled area so they don't sting anything.

perfectdark

IMO One large leather is enough. In fact in my tank I have eliminated all my large leathers and most of my LPS that have long tenticals. I want more colorful small polyped corals. Candy canes are cool... so are duncans.

lexluethar

Okay, so candy canes are in. And my Hammer is okay as long as the tenticles are no near the Leather.
So.... Zoos, Mushrooms, Colt, and some thinks like Candy corals would be okay?
NIce pic rebel.