price range.

manchester

maybe mine might sound good to you
75 galOceanic Rr, oceanic stand, glass top, heater(jalli) 300 watt, jalli heater controller, 20 gallon sump,20 gal bio tower, oceanic model 6 skimmer(needs pump), 1200 maxi-jet, 2 mini 404s,
in a store you are looing at $1000.
the tank is 6 weeks old, i never used it so all of my equipment is new still in the box.
i am in MN,
the price $400 and its your

carrie1429

If its fish only without live rock or anything I would think around $1000 depending on the tank size and where you buy it at. A good starter tank size would be a 55 gallon IMO.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, right around $100 for a 75gal range tank.
If I were you, however, I would consider making the tank FOWLR. You will cut down on maintenace a good deal by having live rock and live sand bed...which means less mechanical filters as well as di/ro water and salt expense.

musipilot

Manchester, you could sell that tank and get a pretty penny for it in a heartbeat on ----. If you need help doing so, let me know, I'll be happy to help.
dave@jfktower.com

I have written a program to estimate the cost of a saltwater aquarium. It is at <a href="http://www.fishhelpcentral.com/createatank/index.php" target="_blank">http://www.fishhelpcentral.com/createatank/index.php</a>
It will give you an accurate price as well as a cost brake-down.

fshhub

i wanted to choose none for filtration and it came bak 150 dollars, and then air pump, had a number, i think it is quite a bit off, i would not use an airpump in ANY saltwater aquarium, NOR a filter
our 75 gallon with power heads, sand, lighting(pc),stand a emporer biow wheel filter(which we do not use, except to circulate) costs us almost 600$, ad to that a decent skimmer and you have a good tank, soem lr would also be a good idea, but could be added slowly later
and i agre the price for the oceanic is not bad, but make sure to check shipping or however you have to get it if you decide

You said "i would not use an airpump in ANY saltwater aquarium, NOR a filter" I can understand not using an air pump in some aquariums but why no filtration. You have to have some kind of mechanical filtration. Maybe I am just confused by what you said.

fshhub

for good filtration in sw, all you need is
lr and ls(preferably 4 to 6 inches deep) with good cirulation, the critters and bacteria will do a better job than any mechanical filter you can get, adn will not contibute to possible nitrates, by trapping debris
and top this off with a protein skimmer to remove excess nutrients, you have the best filtration ssytem for sw(IMO)
trust me, it seems hard to believe at first, but it does work and great, the only thing i would use mechanical filtration for is a heavily poplulated aggressive tank, with some very messy eaters
HTH and good luck

richard rendos

I do not have any mechanical filtration in any of my tanks. I use LR, protein skimmer, and activated carbon. That is it for filtration. Some recommend not even using the carbon.
I will go to my old pet shop today and figure up a price for you according to their retail pricing for a 75 gallon tank setup.

tomoldershaw

Originally posted by Beth:
<strong>Yes, right around $100 for a 75gal range tank.
If I were you, however, I would consider making the tank FOWLR. You will cut down on maintenace a good deal by having live rock and live sand bed...which means less mechanical filters as well as di/ro water and salt expense.</strong><hr></blockquote>
what does FOWLR mean because i dont know but i did think live sands and rocks would be more interestin gbut i thought it wud b a lot harder

richard rendos

Here is a break down of costs for a 75 gallon AGA (All Glass brand) aquarium setup.
75 gallon tank, stand, NO flourescent light, glass top and background (pine) $356.00
Same as above with oak stand $472.00
80 pounds Carib Sea Aragamax Special Grade Reef sand $75.00
300 watt submersible heater $31.43
Aqua-Medic Turbo Flotor hang-on protein skimmer w/pump $233.00
1 Hagen 402 powerhead $38.00
1 Mag Float 125 algae magnet $13.00
1 Aquarium Systems wave maker power strip $50.00
Total in pine: $796.43
Total in oak: $912.43
Fiji Live rock by the pound $4.99 if you get more than 10 pounds
Hope this helps.