primary filter problems

tank watch

I have a wet/dry with a primary filter above the bio-balls. The filter is a dual layer (blue and white). After 3 or 4 days this filter becomes clogged and causes water to over run the tray that holds it. When this happens, some water runs the edge of the bulkhead wall and out of the sump and onto the floor :scared: .
Is this primary filter necessary? I get plenty of "dirt" down in the sump anyway, which I vacuum out during water changes.

kzoo

I think bio balls are not good in saltwater tanks, there are some pepole that use them but they trap waste and can make your nitrates high. If it were me I would remove them and use live rock or some easy to remove filter pads.

adamc1303

You can try using a diffewrnt pad (thinner), or if you take out some bio balls would it make that tray a little lower? Maybe the flow is to strong and the tray is not deep enough.

tank watch

no, the tray sits on two ledges above the bioballs. If it were lower in the sump, then the water would would not be able to flow UP the walls and onto the floor. It is made to sit higher than the first bulkead, where water will overrun the filter and creep out toward the edges of the sump. I will look into ways of lowering it into the bio ball area. thanks for the idea
ADAMC1303

L

lpuzon

i never had this kind of problem though. what king of pump do u have?

acrylic51

Take that pad out....It's a nitrate producing factory....If your going to keep it in there it needs to be taken out very often probably daily or every other day and cleaned....It traps all the waste coming down from the tank and sits there and all the water has to run through it making your water quality suffer...........
The statemen mentioned above about bio balls isn't true and it's no worse than sitting LR in your sump and letting your drain water drain onto it.....it's going to trap detrius just as bio balls can....If your bio balls become dirty you can take a bit out and rinse them, but not all at once with no ill effects on your biological filter......
The problem you describe with the water overrunning the sump from the pad area is exactly why that filter pad needs to be removed everyday or every other day and cleaned, because your blocking it's ability to let the water pass through, because it's so clogged with junk, and the more clogged it becomes the less water that will pass through, so the laws of physics shows water will take it's least resistive path and that is out over the pad area....