Prizm Pro or Berlin Turbo XL?

jond

I am planning my equipment for my 128 gal. RR with a 55 gal. sump. I have been looking at many different skimmers and wanted some input.
What are your thoughts on the Prizm Pro and Berlin Turbo XL?
Thanks

david s

If you have a extra $100 I would go with a myreef mr2 much higher end skimmer than either of the 2 you mentioned but a berlin turbo is a good skimmer

mcgruff

I'm glad someone started this thread. I have heard good things about ETSS and Aqua C, although if my understanding of current skimmers on the market is that the Prizm is for smaller setups (could be wrong). I have an AquaMedic Turboflotor that's rated for 150 gallons. It's been running on my 90 gal. for the last 2+ years and it has done a good job. The disposition of the Froth is a bit on the watery side and I can't seem to get the settings right on it to dry it up a bit. I was thinking of getting either an Aqua C or ETSS rated for above 300 gal's as I need to go larger in the next year or so. Does anyone have any perspective on how these stack up?

newfishliny

it just so happens I posted today the question you just ask and no one replied, cant understand that.
I would also like to know the difference, etss aqua c
let me know
thanks
Don

j21kickster

Originally posted by Mcgruff
I have an AquaMedic Turboflotor that's rated for 150 gallons. It's been running on my 90 gal. for the last 2+ years and it has done a good job. The disposition of the Froth is a bit on the watery side and I can't seem to get the settings right on it to dry it up a bit

What pump are you using? if you slow down the waterflow just a bit (there should be a controll valve) you will lower the water level slightly and produce a thicker foam.

mcgruff

Kickster,
I am using a rio, I think it's a 2100, but the valves on the turboflotor are completely out so that there is no restriction on the water escaping the tower. The pump is primarily needle driven in order to induct the air through the tube so I'm not sure how much impact that's having on the water flow through the skimmer. It's primarily gravity driven so I may look into installing a valve on the feed line. Thanks for your post.

drkegel

Just my two cents - if at all possible I would avoid any skimmer made by Red Sea. I have had nothing but trouble with the Berlin Turbo I bought, I'm on the third pump - and still doesn't make foam. I have a Prizm- it's noisy, but it works well considering the cost. Not a great skimmer though.
I finally just got so mad I found a used AquaMedic which works awesome, and it's about the same price new as the Berlin XL.
I'm not the only one who's had trouble with them - and I'm not impressed with Red Sea at all lately. I got into it real good with a rep in regard to why their test kits aren't uniform, and he gave me some total BS answers, which just really ticked me off.
Excuse the venting - but I've not had good luck with them at all.