Prizm skimmer!?!?!?!?

fishgirl

After being stuck with a 30 gal FO for years, I'm about ready to purchase my new 75 gallon aquarium that will be a FOWLR. :) I will use the berlin system (only filtration = LR, LS, protien skimmer). I was ready to go with the Berlin Classic Hang-on skimmer but it is so expensive and skimmers to like a 130 gallon. Overkill? My LFS wanted to sell it to me for $300 but I found an online place where it's only $200. Still expensive (too young to get a job besides pet-sitting and @ 10 bucks a week allowance it takes me a year to save $500 if I don't spend a penny. this set-up will totally cost me 600-700 bucks.) :eek: :eek: :eek:
Then I found the Prizm skimmer made by the same company (Red sea)that is really cheap (like 75 bucks), skims to a 90 gal tank, nice and quiet, new technology etc. I know many people recommend getting a skimmer that can skim twice as much as your tank, but with the 75lbs of LR that will be in there it won't really be 75 gallons of water. Plus I really need the good deal or I won't be able to buy the set-up at all.
Ok, that was a long-winded post, but please tell me if the Prizm is good enough for my tank! :confused: Thanks so much.

deansreef

The prizm skimmer is a really good one I use it on my 55 gallon reef and am very happy with its performance :) Good luck

mr . salty

I have seen a prizm kikking ass on a 75 gallon tank at a local fish store. Most people would say that it is too small for your 72,,but after seeing one in action,I think it will do a great job for you.I also now know what that noise it makes is,and how to quiet it down.Same problem the Skilter has.Just need to add about three feet of air line to the short one that it comes with.Then put the end in a pop bottle filled with cotton...Works like a muffler on a car..

pufferlover

I love my prism which is on my 58 reef tank. It skims like a champ and frankly I do not find it all noisy. I also have a couple of Skilter 250s on other tanks and they work well to (not as good as prism tho) but they are much more noisy. They can be had for as little as 69 bucks if one knows where to look. My lfs sells them in the 90 dollar area which is way too much but he gets it.

chopper320

I have a prizm on my 55 FOWLR. It works great. I don't have any problem with the noise either. The only weird thing about the prizm is that the flow valve has to be almost closed to stop it from shooting hundreds of micro-bubbles into your tank. This is fine though as it still skims great!

foobaby

On the prism, can you rotate the inlet pipe to where it meets the overflow and still work effectly? I understand that the inlet locks into the unit when you rotate it back forward but my tank entry point doesn't provide me enough room for the inlet to stick out so far into the tank. Anyone runnig this skimmer with the inlet unlocked and pushed over fully counter clockwise?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The prizm has a screw to adjust how it sits on the tank, so it can be pushed on or hang more out of the tank, depending on your needs.
Ok, Steve is that another one of your "jokes"???
LOL

foobaby

Elizabeth, i realize the skimmer can be mounted more away from tank to accomidate inlet tube but I want the skimmer to sit up flush with back of tank. My issue is i have very little room behind tank (wall 3 in. behind)so this is why I want to know if you can run skimmer with hte inlet swung over to the left?

fishgirl

Thanks again everyone - y'all are always such a big help! I have another question about the filtration for my aquarium. Since I will only have a protein skimmer, LR, LS, and since I won't have a sump should I use a Whisper2 carbon-bag filter without the carbon or the bio-sponge just to catch large waste in the white filter media stuff??? Would it mess up the whole berin-system idea??

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Any kind of sponge filtration, etc., will eventually become a "nitrate sponge" unless you are cleaning it very often. Try using your natural filtration, in addition ot detrivores. If you need to, you can run some carbon filtration occassionally.

fishgirl

I said NOT the sponge, just the white filter media w/o carbon to catch waste. You just throw-out and replace the stuff when it gets dirty. Would this help or hurt the tank? Thanx! -Jean

fishguy

It can't hurt but onlt help, but it is not needed the berlin system will do fine on itw own.
p.s Cool Name Fishgirl ;)
Happy Fish Keepin'

puffdad

I am still in the process of learning the berlin system & doing my research on filtration, so pardon my misunderstanding of the subject...but, you don't need any mechanical filtration to remove large waste items when you use the berlin system?
IF the answer is yes according to the system, just wondering...does anyone disagree & utilize mechanical filtration anyways?
I decided to post this question as a new topic...
[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: puffdad ]

justlooking

Does the prizsm skimmer go inside or outside the tank? Id hate to have some big unit inside my tank looking so unnatural