Problem feeding Firefish

D

dborne3

I've added a firefish to my tank earlier this week and i bought some marine pellets with the garlic for him to eat but i am currently not having success feeding him. He is always hiding and never comes up to eat. So is there an easier way to feed him or something else i could try??

renogaw

mine eats anything i put in the tank, as long as they are smaller than his mouth...
they are a shy fish. is it in your QT by itself? it may just be getting used to your tank still. try smaller flake foods, or mushed up seafood.

D

dborne3

he is the first fish in my 30 gal cube.
what about frozen cubes of like brine shrimp - placing it by his hideout?

nycbob

firefish r not big eaters. i hv one in my 72. he comes out maybe half the time i feed my fish. i feed mine mysis shrimps. if he is hungry, he will come out.

rcoultas

I have 2 firefish in my 130 they are always out when the others are out (although they are generally the last to come out) when I feed they seem to NOT want anything but some small flake food. They will not touch mysis or krill and were very picky with Marine Cuisine. I guess you have to figure out it's personality but being a shy fish all alone in the tank doesn't make matters any easier. Might want to put a clown or something in with him.

m0nk

Mine will eat Emerald Entree and Frozen Cyclop-eeze fairly well, but he's one of 5 fish and rarely is as active of an eater as the others.

D

dborne3

thanks for the replies everyone
I am looking to add a small clown in the tank pretty soon but just trying to take it slow - The whole "be patient" thing is hard to do....

renogaw

Originally Posted by dborne3
thanks for the replies everyone
I am looking to add a small clown in the tank pretty soon but just trying to take it slow - The whole "be patient" thing is hard to do....

that's what the QT is for :) can have your second fish safely away from your existing fish.

D

dborne3

Well doesnt look like i need to worry about what he eats anymore
he was found dead at the bottom of the tank. I dont think he ever ate anything since i had him and everything else in the tank seems fine.