problem in acclimation (new tank)

dea_mt

alright well i set up my tank the other day and i've had it cycling...put the live rock in yesterday...seems ok...but i went to put 2 peppermint scrimp in there today and i think one of them bit it...i read that they may be motionless for 30 seconds but 1 of them has been motionless for about 10 minutes...i tried movin him around...nothing...do u think he's dead? i don't understand the other one is fine he's already hiding in the rock trying to sway w/ the current and my snails seem to be fine as well as soon as i stuck them in there they went to work!!! do u think that one shrimp is just in shock or something? should i leave him in there and see what happens?

jacknjill

were you gonna use the shrimp for the cycle? you need to use a dead cocktail shrimp to kick the cycle off. not a live pep. shrimp. nothing will live in there during the cycle except for maybe a damsel which i strongly do not recommend

bigarn

You can't add any creatures until the cycle is complete! Anything in there now will most likely die. :D
Sorry...... WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!

sw65galma

Originally posted by DEA_MT
alright well i set up my tank the other day and i've had it cycling...put the live rock in yesterday...seems ok...but i went to put 2 peppermint scrimp in there today and i think one of them bit it...i read that they may be motionless for 30 seconds but 1 of them has been motionless for about 10 minutes...i tried movin him around...nothing...do u think he's dead? i don't understand the other one is fine he's already hiding in the rock trying to sway w/ the current and my snails seem to be fine as well as soon as i stuck them in there they went to work!!! do u think that one shrimp is just in shock or something? should i leave him in there and see what happens?

Please do a search for CYCLE and acclimation.
You can't just put in water and rock and add fish.
This is not like Fresh Water..
It takes a Month of an empty tank to cycle before adding fish.
Unless you have a Huge tank. over 125Gals

sw65galma

well the other one seems ok thanks guys

For now...most likely he wont make it either.
Anyway make sure you do drip acclimation for 2 hrs from now on with Inverts..
And RULE #!
NEVER EVER listen to the Local fish store.
Always ask here first..

dea_mt

ok thanks guys...i'm sorry i'm a newbie and oh yeah could someone point me to a cycling 101 thread...i couldn't find an informative one. and from now on i will ask u guys and it's a good thing u told me cause the lady at the pet store almost got me to buy a fish!

sw65galma

ok thanks guys...i'm sorry i'm a newbie and oh yeah could someone point me to a cycling 101 thread...i couldn't find an informative one. and from now on i will ask u guys and it's a good thing u told me cause the lady at the pet store almost got me to buy a fish!

Ya don't buy any fish for about a month..
Here is a good one, it's by one of the Mods..
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...hlight=cycling
And don't worry about being a n00b..This is after all the NEW HOBBYIST Forum..

dea_mt

lol ok sry last question...i promise...could i just leave what i have in there and use that to cycle if it dies or would that be too much???

sw65galma

lol ok sry last question...i promise...could i just leave what i have in there and use that to cycle if it dies or would that be too much???

Ya i dead shrimp is a dead shrimp after all...
Just keep feeding your other shrimp that's alive...Hopefully he'll make it...

hocky98

I used TLC to help build bacteria and added 6 damsels after a couple of days. The damsels made the tank fun to have during cycling and they all lived just fine.

My false perculas made it but they didn't seem to be having a lot of fun. It wasn't much fun for me because some of the critters i bought died (with the exception of the fish). Then i got stressed because i was afraid they would die too. When I first started out, I made the same mistake. I should have done my homework about starting a saltwater tank. So I wouldn't add anymore living creatures.

sw65galma

Originally posted by DefntleyMaybe79
My false perculas made it but they didn't seem to be having a lot of fun. It wasn't much fun for me because some of the critters i bought died (with the exception of the fish). Then i got stressed because i was afraid they would die too. When I first started out, I made the same mistake. I should have done my homework about starting a saltwater tank. So I wouldn't add anymore living creatures.

You and me both..I have a ton of Damsels I don't know what to do with and they are huge...So I can't put them with anything, but I don't want to kill them either...
DAM the LFS@!