Problem with MH please help

coral boy

I just got two new Ushio 175 watt 10k bulbs
The problem is they come on for about 1min. then they shut off one seems to be staying on now but the other one still comes on then shuts off
I have hamlton ballest. hasd anybody else had this problem
thanks for any help you can give me

eric the red

Here is a quick test for you. Turn off your lights, let them cool down, then swap them around. If the same one is still blinking on and off then it is a bad bulb. Most HID (High Intensity Discharge) lamps will cycle as they are bad. I work on lights for a power company and can tell that if your bulb keeps on cycling on and off it and the ballast will soon burn completely out.

falcon63

the bulbs you are talking about take a while to burn in .when you turn them on leave them on they will fire.as you said they will burn then go out .this will hapen with these bulbs. but they will fire

kpogue

I have the same bulbs and had similar problems. BUT - THEY WERE NOT THE BULBS - I checked the wiring from my ballast and found a moron's mess from the previous owner. It's a wonder they worked at all. I re-did the wiring and everything has been fine since. I had the same thing with the "blue(er) bulb and found it was not recieving enough voltage. Once corrected, it was like all the rest.
keith

shnookums

some metal halides take a while to strike when they are NEW. continue to either unplug and replug in or leave them plugged on and they will finally strike. ;)

mini-reefer

Also, if you have fans blowing across the bulbs that could be a problem. The bulb closest to my cooling fan takes 10 minutes longer to completely light up than the other while the fan is blowing. When it is not on both bulbs fire in about the same amount of time. Same goes with the color. They have to be burned in and lit awhile before they will reach there designed output temperature. Just my two cents. :D