Problem with Octopus BH-100 Protein Skimmer

newfishfiend08

Hello,
I just purchased and installed the Octopus BH-100 Protein Skimmer. I'm having a problem with the skimmer ....I think I've never had one before. The collection cup is rapidly filling up with water and white foam . The white foam is then overflowing ether into the other selection ( where the release is ) or of out of the skimmer into my carpeting. I've tried adjusting the collection cup but that doesn't seem to work.... How can I correct this?
Thanks

ibew41

is the collection cup all the way down? try moving it up,also did you just add something to the tank

newfishfiend08

I just put on the skimmer less than an hour ago and had to turn it off because I couldn't get it to work. I've tried the cup at several different heights and it overflows and fills with water both times.... Could there be too much water in the tank?

mikeu

skimmers need a chance to "break in". One way to help is to run the skimmer in a solution of vinegar and water for a while before putting it on the tank.

newfishfiend08

I just bought the skimmer and put it on. I'm going to try the water and vinegar mixture to help break it in. Hopefully that will work....its runining the pant on my wall :( with all of the foam overflowing and splattering. How long do they usually take to break in and what should the H20 vinegar ratio be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!!

matt b

Originally Posted by newfishfiend08
http:///forum/post/2710445
I just bought the skimmer and put it on. I'm going to try the water and vinegar mixture to help break it in. Hopefully that will work....its runining the pant on my wall :( with all of the foam overflowing and splattering. How long do they usually take to break in and what should the H20 vinegar ratio be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!!
Not sure about that. But did you just use epoxy? When I do it makes my skimmer go crazy for a week. I would call them. I had/have a BH 300f and never had to break it in.

newfishfiend08

I just let the skimmer sit in a mix of vinegar and water all weekend. It worked beautifully!!! Today, I decided to put the skimmer back into the 65 gal tank and began experiencing the same problems! The skimmer is overflowing white clean foam and their are so many bubbles in the tank its disrupting the fish. I've had to change the cup three times in the last four hours any advice???

morval

ive got the same one can you post some pics of it and ill tell you if you put it together right? it shouldnt overflow like that unless something is pluged

xtreeme

IBEW41 gave me a idea.
If skim is wet (light color and lots water) turn your air flow more so you have More bubles. This will lower the presure and the water.

gohabsgo

hé!!!I have the same skimmer, i bought it 2 month ago and i cant get rid of the microbuble and i have to put the cup very hight because it gets full in no time.

ibew41

Originally Posted by gohabsgo
http:///forum/post/2714567
hé!!!I have the same skimmer, i bought it 2 month ago and i cant get rid of the microbuble and i have to put the cup very hight because it gets full in no time.
can you post a pic of how you set it up?