problem with pump flow

jaxfishgirl

So, I am having an issue with the outflow of my pump. I have a Mag drive 7 pump in my 20 gal refugium. It seems like I have to reduce the outflow of the pump with a ball valve (I use vinyl tubing) to almost nothing. It is pumping water back into the DT quicker than it is draining back down to the refugium. Now my question is, I called my LFS and he gave me 2 ways I could help with my problem.
The first way, change all my plumbing to PVC and add a few 90 elbows to reduce the flow.
Second way, again, change to PVC and then add a spray bar. I don't see how this would help since he suggested adding it to the DT. Now, if i added a spray bar over the refugium, I understand how that would help.
I know my SWF.com family will know how to help me. :)

al&burke

Do you have any pictures, the 1" drain and return is fine. I had the same problem a little while back with a FW set up, these guys/gals here told me not put any valves on the drain, I agree because if by chance you get something in there it might block it off enough to cause an overflow. Two days later a fish got stuck - no flood because I have a backup drain. Anyways everyone must be having dinner or something I would post a few pictures, I will do my best to try to help you out, but I am sure some others will chime in.

J

jstdv8

wouldn't it be as simple as adding a larger overflow?
you are restricted by the diameter of the U-tube.

jaxfishgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/383371/problem-with-pump-flow#post_3352489
Do you have any pictures, the 1" drain and return is fine. I had the same problem a little while back with a FW set up, these guys/gals here told me not put any valves on the drain, I agree because if by chance you get something in there it might block it off enough to cause an overflow. Two days later a fish got stuck - no flood because I have a backup drain. Anyways everyone must be having dinner or something I would post a few pictures, I will do my best to try to help you out, but I am sure some others will chime in.
I don't have any pictures currently. I am house sitting for my parents. The hubby is at home and could probably take a pic. But I can just post one tomorrow. Well, my tank is drilled and I have a cover over my overflow, kind of like the pic below, so nothing should be getting in the pipes to clog it up. You can have valves in the lines as long as it is not restricting the water coming into the pump. The valve is above the pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/thread/383371/problem-with-pump-flow#post_3352491
wouldn't it be as simple as adding a larger overflow?
you are restricted by the diameter of the U-tube.
I have a drilled tank, no U tube on my tank

al&burke

I would say as JSTDV8 said that it is not draining enough, I had the same problem with the clear tubing I used for the drain. The stuff I have kinks really easy and restricts the flow. I think your LFS was right about changing your drain to pvc pipe - however there is drain tubing you can buy that doesn't kink so easy (what I am trying to say is it looks squished not perfectly round), 2Quils and acrylics PM'd me a site with the hose to use, I will PM you. Might be easier than hard piping it.

al&burke

Sorry - are you sure there is nothing blocking the drain - maybe a snail of something. The drain hose you have should be fine as long as there are no kinks in it. I also think that your 1" return might be a bit large that's if why it is taking a lot to back it down with your ball valve. I wish 2Quils or acrylics would chime in, or someone.

acrylic51

You say your using vinyl tubing???? Is it the clear tubing that you can see into....I would visual inspect as you probably already have and others have suggest, but I'd be looking around the bulkhead....Without seeing pics and you said the tank was drilled....Is it a reef ready tank or did you drill the tank yourself? Where exactly is the bulkhead located? I would actually start probing around in the bulkhead....You'd be highly suprised what you think/thought couldn't make it into the overflow into the drain will.....I would almost bet that something has gotten into the bulkhead and assuming you have some sort of elbow or sort coming off the bulkhead if drilled in the back of the tank, and snail have a tendency to hang up and stick right at the back where you really can't see them till you start probing around.....
If there are no kinks or sharp bends in the line, then the clog has to be within the bulkhead itself.

acrylic51

Do you have a valve on the suction side of the pump or the output side of the pump? Is it possible as well that your ball valve might be hanging opening and not really closing off as you think by indication of the handle?

jaxfishgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/383371/problem-with-pump-flow#post_3352685
You say your using vinyl tubing???? Is it the clear tubing that you can see into....I would visual inspect as you probably already have and others have suggest, but I'd be looking around the bulkhead....Without seeing pics and you said the tank was drilled....Is it a reef ready tank or did you drill the tank yourself? Where exactly is the bulkhead located? I would actually start probing around in the bulkhead....You'd be highly suprised what you think/thought couldn't make it into the overflow into the drain will.....I would almost bet that something has gotten into the bulkhead and assuming you have some sort of elbow or sort coming off the bulkhead if drilled in the back of the tank, and snail have a tendency to hang up and stick right at the back where you really can't see them till you start probing around.....
If there are no kinks or sharp bends in the line, then the clog has to be within the bulkhead itself.
The drain line is actually the flex hose (the grey ribbed hose) and it is a reef ready tank, so the holes were drilled right into the bottom. So no elbows. The return line is the clear vinyl tubing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/thread/383371/problem-with-pump-flow#post_3352687
Do you have a valve on the suction side of the pump or the output side of the pump? Is it possible as well that your ball valve might be hanging opening and not really closing off as you think by indication of the handle?
The valve is on the outlet side, and it is definitely more than 1/2 closed. My return has a Y fitting and 2 nozzles. The flow coming out is so slow. I am thinking something must have gotten caught up. I never had a problem before when I had my quiet one pump that was equivalent to the Mag 7 I have now.

acrylic51

So I'm alittle confused.... Is the drain slow or water from the Mag slow? You said you have a "Y" on your return side of the pump, how is the flow on the other port of the "Y"? Have you checked the pump itself?? Meaning pull the head or housing off the front of the pump and inspect the impeller?

2quills

If the return flow is super slow right now and you're having problems with the tank not draining fast enough there must surely be a blockage in your drain lines somewhere I would think. I would take the drain apart and inspect.

florida joe

It’s obviously in your drain system. Start by making sure the ribs of your overflow box are clean and you have no buildup of algae that are raising the height of the water needed to dump into the box

meowzer

You might want to use one of these periodically...Even though you have a drilled tank, algae and debris can grow in your tubes......I do not have a drilled tank, BUT use this on my overflow tubing to keep them free and clear....