Problems setting reef up!

S

saltyeel

Hey, I'm a newby at this site and some what at saltwater too. Let me tell you guys what I have and what my questions are. I have a 55 gal tank with lace rock and live crushed coral this tank includes a zebra moray horseshoe crab and a lionfish. My 2nd tank is a soon to be reef tank. This is a 25 gal with a fluval 404, power sweep 228, and 65 watt smartlight power compact. livestock include 20lbs of live rock. Halation (spelling) aneome. couple damsels, Hawaiian reef lobster ( I beleive that is what its called) and 3 turbo snails. My questions are should I have live sand instead of crushed coral? Is the lighting good enough for most corals? How many snails and crabs should I get? What is the best food to feed live coral?<how much should I feed? What are the best corals to start off with (common names please) ? I have a bad algae problem now, how long does it take to clear? I have a bristle worm, I got a piece of him but not alot what should i do? What else would you recomend? Thanx alot I know I have alot of questions. Please answer soon!! P.S. 25gal has been running for about 2 to 3 weeks

kev

Let me try to help you with some of your problems. First of all, yes, it would be alot better IMO to use LS instead of CC for a reef. I have the same 65W Smartlite on my 20gal, with an extra 20W 50/50. You could probably get away with a few corals, but I would go ahead and get another light. It's best to have 4W per gallon at a minimum on a reef. After you tank has cycled, I would add about 10-15 snails and 10 hermits(depending on what your opinion is about hermits) and I would also throw in a emerald crab, or an arrow(they're both really cool.) Best corals to start off with... Mushrooms, Leathers, and you could try some Xenia maybe. Read up on the corals before you buy them, and most will be happy with some plankton food of some sort(Kent Microvert, or Pytoplankton) although some require direct feedings of brine shrimp or something of that nature. Your algae problem is not a big deal at all, after you get your clean-up crew, the algae for the most part, will be gone. And if your like me and you still have algae after the clean-up crew, you can always invest in a Lawnmower Blenny... LOL mine did wonders for my tank. The bristle worms aren't a problem at all, I kinda like em as they look pretty cool. I would wait untill your tank has COMPLETELY cycled to add corals, and it would really be best if you waited 4-6 months to let your tank become established. If ya have anymore questions feel free to ask, because im pretty bored. :D

S

saltyeel

Thanx, here is the situation though i did use alot of water from my 55gal that has been setup for abpout 6 months. Should i still worry about cycling???

kev

Hmm... if you used alot of water from a 55, it should be alright. Just make sure that the cycle(if any) is over with before you add and live creatures to the tank. I'm not really sure about this though as far as adding corals with your situation. Wait and see what a couple of other peole have to say. :D

S

saltyeel

I do have another light fixture with a 50/50 bulb in where do you put yours at ( because the smartlight takes up alot of room! )??:confused:

kev

I have the Smartlite across the back, and the other fixture in the front. It was quite a task getting it to work, but I have them kinda slanted at a slight angle so that they will both fit. It all depends on whats hangin off the back of your tank, hopefully what ever filtration you have isn't going to take up too much space. :D

kev

Sorry I left this out, USE RO WATER!!!(If you alrdy didn't know.) I recently went through this problem and it's been hell(can I say hell, lol?) tryin to get my water correct. Tap water has way too many heavy metals, phosphates, and all sorts of "crap" tha is best left in the faucet. :D

pstanley

I am having that same problem (having enough room for additional lighting). I have a cpr bakpak and a tetratec power filter and I have NO extra room for any lighting beyond the 65 watt pc. I would get rid of the power filter except my heater is an add on module to the filter...plus it has two return outlets (one which shoots out water in 5 second internals). I guess I am just stuck with my existing lighting.

S

saltyeel

Pstanley get a glass top and then put the 2nd fixture on the front of it(the opening unfortunatly) It is a little Bootleg but it does work!! my live rock is already responding!!:)

pstanley

Actually that is how it is now. There is only about 4 inches left from the front of the tank to the pc. If I put a standard flourescent strip it would still hang over the edge of the aquarium by about 1 1/2 inches. The stuff I have in the back takes up about 5 inches unfortunately. Maybe I should get rid of the filter and buy a heater to put into the cpr??