Problems with DSB

bluemarlin

I've been reading alot about people suggesting DSB's. (deep sand beds) Some seem to suggest that there is no better way for filtration then to use a DSB and LR. Then I read that DSB are relatively new and not tested for long term results. Some have suggested on another forum that DSB are short term items and that in time actually become harmful to the tank and its inhabitants. They suggest that a DSB may work well for a year or two but they become more trouble then it is worth.
This got me to thinking. The LFS I used to go to got into sand as a method of filtration about 4-5 years ago. They hyped up sand filters, DSB and LR as the best natural methods for filtration. I went in there about a month ago and all of that sand stuff they had was gone! They were using a sump system, with a filter media and bioballs! Very similar to the system I am currently using. I haven't converted my system over yet because I am a big believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but I was considering changing.
I asked my buddy at the store about what happened to all the sand and he just shrugged and said that they don't use that anymore. This is one of the if not the best LFS in my area. I wonder why they switched back?
Is there a discussion here? I think so. Has anyone had a DSB for several years? What are the results?

ed r

I think DSBs are the best way to go if used properly. They are not going to be able to maintain the zero nitrate level in a heavily stocked fish-only tank. They will provide zero nitrate in a properly stocked reef tank. Too many people err by putting in sand sifting starfish and other fish that proceed to eat the sand dwelling critters that you need to make the DSB work. Also too many people combine crushed coral and other too large sand particles in their attempt at a DSB. To keep a DSB working well over the long haul, it may be necessary to periodically add a critter kit or two. This is because not all of the infauna will readily reproduce in aquaria.
Read Dr. Ron Shimek's articles for the best info regarding DSBs.
<a href="http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm" target="_blank">http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm</a>

northwest rick

BlueMarlin,
My understanding is that a DSB should not be your primary biological filter, rather your LR rock (or a wet/dry filter in a fish only tank) is the main engine that processes nitrates.
DSBs reduce nitrate which will otherwise contiune to build. Water changes also reduce nitrate build up, and are still required even with a well working DSB. Removing nitrate is only one of the many benefits of water changes.
I have read articles from people who have successfully run DSBs and plenums for over 5 years without any problems. Sand size and type (should be 100% aragonite) does matter.
Who knows why your LFS abandoned their DSB? But that does not necessarily mean that they don't work.
DSB or no, you need lot of LR.
Rick
Rick

kmart93

I'm having the same problem BlueMarlin. I'm getting ready to move and i wanted a DSB. But now i here negative remarks and i hear about not being able to put critters that i would like to have in my tank. I have two main reasons for a DSB. I want better bio filtration and neet critters that can't have Crushed Coral. But now i have to decide if i want the bio filtration or the critters since i now here that the two clash.
Why can't everthing be the way i want it to be!!!
So, let me know what you are deciding to do.

rockface

I have always had an aggressive set up,triggers, lions, etc. and I use a sb about 2-3 inches deep. I've found it's much easier to clean the sand while doing water changes, than the cc I used before. I also use a WET DRY for my main filtration, and have about 100lbs of live rock. I've also found a good skimmer makes a world of diffrence with these types of fish. I like the sand much better than cc.

jlem

NO BLUE MARLIN. Not again, not again, Just Joking. I'm going to reply to DSB negatives to get it current and maybe save some fingers. Like you said? If it's not broke don't fix it.