Problems with my Xenia

rick1110

I just recently bought some Xenia about four little stalks and it has been about two weeks and two have died I have other corals that are doing fine. The tank has been set up for four months and all other corals are doing fine.
I have some mushrooms, yellow polyps, zoos, gonipora, leather coral. Fish I have 2 percula clowns, 1 yellowtail wrasse, and one madiarin golby. I tested the water and evry thing is great. What is making my Xenia die.

reefnut

Xenia are REALLY poor shippers… if you ordered them online or if the LFS had just got them in, they could have been in poor health before you even added them to your tank.
That said, what lighting do you have and how much water flow do they have??

markus1

I have heard from more than one person, that xenia love Iodine. I bought some from Kent marine and it seems to make them really happy. I don't know if the iodine thing is 100% true, but I got one plug with two, 1 inch stalks on it, and now I have about 12 stalks of 3 inches or better all over my tank, and it's only been about 4-5 months.

mudplayerx

Xenia also seem to a be a "hit or miss" species. I once had such a proliferation of them that I entirely funded my hobby by selling their frags. Two years later I can't even keep them because they just melt away.

supalupa

Keep your alk up and add Iodide.(my bottle of iodide says iodine is as toxic as chlorine) I too have had two small stalks grow into a forest. I have also noticed they like medium flow and high lighting. I agree they are poor shippers. Had some I bought at lfs that didn't make it but the ones I got in a local trade are doing so well I am fragging and selling to the lfs.