problems with oceanic biocube skimmer?

sinful

before I follow in the same path as I did with the fission skimmer, I figured I would get ya'lls suggestions and concerns with the biocube skimmer. Is it worth it?

mojo46825

I have had them both. The biocube one is better but still not up to par with what I think we could have in a good skimmer. I have one and use it on my bc14. I just wish i had a better option. The price is good though.

fishkid2

Do you still have the same lighting with the hood?
Maybe If you don't you could get a hang on protein skimmer that might fit in the filtration system.

sinful

I'm not getting any hang on anything, thanks for the suggestion though..lol. Does the biocube skimmer produce any micro bubbles like the fission? does it pull anything out?

rtspeed

Well i have the bio skimmer and it works great for me i empty it every three days, also id you check that e acution site, there is one that replaces the bio balls and it also looks pretty good to me, as for micro bubbles i never get them.

sazarac

Hi Sinful,
Several of us on the list have the BioCube Skimmer. There haven't been any reports of serious problems, and as far as microbubbles, if you mean getting into the main tank, I don't think that is possible with this skimmer. Here is a link to a thread I started a while back on the BC skimmer.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/295569/new-oceanic-nano-protein-skimmer
Hope it helps
Saz
Originally Posted by Sinful http:///forum/post/2478446
before I follow in the same path as I did with the fission skimmer, I figured I would get ya'lls suggestions and concerns with the biocube skimmer. Is it worth it?

ecooper

I have one on my 14g. It's ok. I get some stuff in it, so I figure it's better than not having it...

perfectdark

I love mine... I empty my collection cup every 3 to 4 days and its a greenish brown color so IMO It works good enough for the bio cube.

coyle

Does it have to be used with the biocube tanks? I'm looking for a small skimmer for my 20 high display tank. Thanks

chaseter

I have the biocube skimmer and it works fine for me. It is a lot better to have than just the crappy filters and it does get out a lot of crap. I have had no problems.
coyle...it can be used on any tank. It has suction cups that you can put on it to use in non biocube tanks.

zacharyshorter

In my opinion mind you just opinion the skimmer does not perform for the space it takes and the cost that it is. Again my opinion a good route is a Tunze 9002 Nano skimmer (if you have a BioCube 29). You could also try to put in a phosphate reactor, this would also help to keep down algae which can grow very easily under these PC lights without a heavy CUC. Hope this helps.

mr.clownfish

Originally Posted by fishkid2
http:///forum/post/2478451
Just want to say I followed on that path of buying that crappy fission skimmer too.
I followed on that path of buying that crappy fission skimmer too!! HAHAHA it sucked!!! im using its engine thingy that shoots out water as a powerhead.