Problems with Powder Blue

davidcanupp

I have a powder blue who has just recovered from Ick. I have given him formalin baths twice and a freshwater dip as Trey instructed. After the formalin baths the areas that were previously infected turned black. I assume this might be the parasite dying and is normal, but I'm not sure. He is still eating and swimming well, but continues to scratch constantly and has bad color. I'm treating him with copper. When I dip him in the formalin he appears to be very happy and relieved. Upon returning to the hospital tank he scratches again. Levels are good in QT and I do regular water changes. Any advice as to what else I can do. Thanks

davidcanupp

Would hyposalinity still be feasible? If so, how many days should i take to achieve the lowest salinity level? Any Idea what the black spots are? Thanks-

jimi

Maybe but he sounds pretty stressed. If you do it dont use medication or copper and hyposalinity, might be too much. If you decide to use it drop your salinity down to 1.008 or 1.009 over a two day period. Keep it there for 30 days then raise it slowly over a week.