Problems with tank bred clowns?

clayton

I purchased a pair of tank bred common clowns a couple of weeks ago along with a sebae (probably) anemone which I now think may be bleached. The anemone has yet to accept direct feeding although otherwise seems O.K. The clowns have shown no interest in the anemone. I have also noticed that many tank bred common clowns have deformed mouths upper jaws, although I have heard this dissapears with age! Has anyone heard of any other or similar problems with tank breds or problems with getting clowns to accept an anemone as home?

fishgirl

Most tank-bred clowns are raised without an anemone host (or so I've heard) so this is probably the first time your clowns have seen an anemone! Even clowns collected from the wild will resist certain anemoneies for no reason at all -- it's best if you see the clown and anemone together at the LFS and buy them as an already-established pair. I have a tank-bred sebea clown, but have never tried an anemone with it, sine I have other not-so-invert-safe fishies in the same tank. Mine does not have that jaw deformity. Did you say it was just in tank-bred COMMON clowns, or tank-bred clowns in general??

mainejo1

Clayton, I just bought a whole new lighting system, just so I could get an anenome for my clowns, Clem and Josephine. I could not wait to see my clowns dive into the anenome, but two weeks have gone by and they could care less. I was told that the good news is that obviously the clowns are happy and don't feel threatened, or else they would have welcomed a place to hide. So, keep that in mind. Also, I learned that I was trying to feed my anenome too much. I think no more than every other day is appropriate from what I have read, and if they don't eat what you offer them within 5-10 mins. it is best to remove it. My anenome loves a small piece of scallop about three times a week.

clayton

Originally posted by MaineJo1:
Clayton, I just bought a whole new lighting system, just so I could get an anenome for my clowns, Clem and Josephine. I could not wait to see my clowns dive into the anenome, but two weeks have gone by and they could care less. I was told that the good news is that obviously the clowns are happy and don't feel threatened, or else they would have welcomed a place to hide. So, keep that in mind. Also, I learned that I was trying to feed my anenome too much. I think no more than every other day is appropriate from what I have read, and if they don't eat what you offer them within 5-10 mins. it is best to remove it. My anenome loves a small piece of scallop about three times a week.

Thanks for the notes - its good to know I am not the only one out there. Dont believe the bit about the clowns feeling safe enough not to use the anemone. I have seen hundreds of anemones and clowns in the wild and never one without the other. Clowns develop their relationship with anemones when young. They develop a mucus that mimics the anemone itself and therefore avoids being stung (juvenile Domino Damsels can also do this). I am wondering whether tank bred clowns retain the ability to do this - it is possible that during breeding in captivity, the fish are lacking certain requirements that enable them to develop their natural behavioural, morphological and physiological abilities.
It is also possible that it is the Anemone that is the problem. Does anyone know more about bleaching in anemones?
I would be cautious about feeding your Anemone 3 times a week. Most cases I have heard of, people are feeding once a week. All this is irrelevent if you do not have adequate lighting. Anemones need lots of blue light (ie actinic) and I would recomend at least 4 watts per gallon (overall). Without the ability to hold zooxanthellae, the anemone will slowly die over the next 8 months.
Let me know how yours do, and good luck.

clayton

Originally posted by Fishgirl:
Most tank-bred clowns are raised without an anemone host (or so I've heard) so this is probably the first time your clowns have seen an anemone! Even clowns collected from the wild will resist certain anemoneies for no reason at all -- it's best if you see the clown and anemone together at the LFS and buy them as an already-established pair. I have a tank-bred sebea clown, but have never tried an anemone with it, sine I have other not-so-invert-safe fishies in the same tank. Mine does not have that jaw deformity. Did you say it was just in tank-bred COMMON clowns, or tank-bred clowns in general??

I have only noticed this deformity in Amphiprion ocellaris. I have noticed this in several retail shops throughout London. Most of the shops in London (and indeed th U.K) obtain their stock from TMC (Tropical Marine Company) who are now breeding many of thier own fish (so I hear). The deformity seems to be in the development of the front of the upper jaw. I have seen almost whole batches of these fish that have the same problem to one extent or another (they look like they have been hit in the face with a very small brick!!). If this is a deformity due to the captive breeding, what other abnormalities may the fish have?????

clayton

I added a Clarkii today (wild coaght) and it went straight to the anemone. This would indicate to me that there is a problem with tank-raised Amphiprion occelaris. This may be due to the way they are raised (ie behavioural) or it may be due to a deformity incurred through the way that they are bred in captiviy. Has anyone else got any experiences with tank bred clowns?