gmann1139

Reviewer Name: gmann1139 (Greg)
Date Reviewed: 2/7/09
Product Name: Rio Powerheads
Date Purchased: 6/2007
Approximate Cost: $15
Features: Compact
Benefits: Small
Pros: They’re tiny, and can fit in tiny locations other pumps can’t.
Cons: Break down easily in SW. Metal rusts, and turbine locks up.
Tips and Tricks: Clean the intake regularly, and don’t run them all the way open.
Mods: Not worth it. Get a Maxijet.
Variations: Multiple sizes available.
Personal opinion: I had 4 of these at one point. Within six months, three had broken down. The fourth is still running, a year later.
Recommend this product? No, get a Maxijet instead.
Product Rating: 3
SWF carries: Yes

snakeblitz33

Same here, I've used Rio's, and they just seem to break down little by little...
The larger RIO's, like the 1100 model and the 1700 model is pretty good for running equipment with though.

yerboy

I have been using the same rio 90 pump with my ATO for over 2 years and have had 0 problems with it. I havent even had to clean it. Maybe there just better suited for freshwater applications.

gmann1139

Originally Posted by yerboy
http:///forum/post/2955414
I have been using the same rio 90 pump with my ATO for over 2 years and have had 0 problems with it. I havent even had to clean it. Maybe there just better suited for freshwater applications.
I think that's true.
After I lost the second or third one, I pulled them all apart to see if I could make one out of many.
There's a metal shaft on the inside that was extremely corroded, which wasn't causing more friction than the magnets could overcome.
Not as big an issue with FW.