Professional tank setup cost?

rldavisou

Today, a wealthy friend of mine asked if I could set up and maintain a reef tank in his house. He said he'd pay me to do all the work. I told him I could do it, but I said I'm not exactly a pro. My question is, how much do you professionals charge to do stuff? He wants about a 75-100 gallon reef. Do you charge by the labor hour or what? Since I'm just an amateur I'd charge a lot less, but I really have no idea what to tell him since he insists on paying me.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by rldavisou
Today, a wealthy friend of mine asked if I could set up and maintain a reef tank in his house. He said he'd pay me to do all the work. I told him I could do it, but I said I'm not exactly a pro. My question is, how much do you professionals charge to do stuff? He wants about a 75-100 gallon reef. Do you charge by the labor hour or what? Since I'm just an amateur I'd charge a lot less, but I really have no idea what to tell him since he insists on paying me.
When I first started a few years ago the LFS set my corner 92 for $200. He had to plum and put in an auto top off, refugium, uv ect... Took about 4 hours. Are you going to buy the stuff for him? Local Craig's list ect.... If you find a package deal, you can probably negotiate some goodies he won't need like coral or something. If he buys the right stuff, set up should be quick. As far as maitainance, I have heard that most get $50 plus per visit for routine stuff. Get him addicted and I am sure he will take care of you! Man.....that sounds bad!
Mc

mscarpena

Most people charge about $1.00 per gallon and go 2 times per month and scrape glass, water change, clean protein skimmer, and pumps. They pay for salt and elements, but the customer pays for all fish, LR, food, and equipment. Most people charge like $250.00-$500.00 for a set up depending on how detailed the set up is and what needs to be done. If it's just a standard set up and he's a good friend just tell him $100.00 and be done with it. That will half of what anyone else charges him.

rldavisou

Thanks guys. I really didn't even have a ballpark figure for him, so you helped a bunch. If anyone has anymore advice, I'd love to hear it.

al mc

Rldavisou....If this person wants a nice set up and you want to maximize the resulting reef tank with less maintenance for yourself...you might post for suggestions of necessary equipment/brand names, etc here as there are many people with lots of experience about sump/refugiums/skimmers/lighting.....and if you have a budget in mind it would make for some interesting posts and conversation..............
I had a 72 gallon bow set up for me in my office by a LFS when I first got into this hobby (about 2 years ago)...They charges me $150 for the set up....then started with
$1/gallon of water as another poster had noted...they came every week for the first month, then every 2-3 weeks.